My Boris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I am enjoying our Russian tort. We have had him for 2 weeks now and think we have the basics down. I gave him dandelions yesterday for the first time and he loved them, I went and bought a variety of greens for him to give him his variety. When he's awake and active he is interesting to watch. He was very active yesterday. I think he is getting used to his soaks on the weekend.
I keep his basking side about 90 and his cool side is 70. The humidity is around 50.

Attachments

• image-3230596587.png
    image-3230596587.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • image-3754628397.png
    image-3754628397.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • image-3379290497.png
    image-3379290497.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • image-1878039257.png
    image-1878039257.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • image-189738660.png
    image-189738660.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • image-723035935.png
    image-723035935.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • image-1520612930.png
    image-1520612930.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • image-106827131.png
    image-106827131.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I actually bought him from our local PetSmart. I know it's not the best place to buy them but I had been contemplating on getting one and looked to buy one online as a baby but they were more expensive than I could afford. We go into that pet store often for food for our other animals and knew he hadn't been there that long and he was on sale so I took advantage of that and decided we could give him a good home. I think he is enjoying his new home.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Boris is cute!! My Eloise is also from Petsmart....we just have good excuses for why we can spoil our new little babies...Coincidentally I also got Eloise 2 weeks ago!! I am absolutely in love!!!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
That is funny you got Eloise 2 weeks ago from a PetSmart also. I just love my Boris. When we got him, he didn't do anything at all for the first 3-4 days and my boyfriend and I went to Petco to see what they had for some supplies and when he saw their Russian tortoises moving around and eating he started teasing me saying that he was going to take Boris and exchange him for an active one. He was joking of course but I kept telling him that Boris was probably being very shy due to his complete change of surroundings. I told him to just give Boris time and he would come around. And now my boyfriend thinks Boris is so cool. It's neat to see Boris starting to get a routine down. Unfortunately I usually only see him active in the morning before I go to work and give him his food and fresh water. By the time I get home in the evening he is already burrowed in his hiding hut for the night. I like it on the weekends when I can be home and see him be more active, especially after he gets his morning soak. Is Eloise your first tortoise?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Yes Eloise is my first.....She I don't even get to see her active in the morning she's a lazy girl sleeping in and such!! Today I am home with my son whose been sick and she was all to happy to come out for a soak (it's been since Sunday) and she even let me cuddle her for a bit which she hasn't done since I got her a bigger enclosure....She likes it in there except when she gets out for a soak she seems to love her soaks she even knows the sound of the running water and is very still and calm when she gets close to the sink and can hear the water running...I got her a little white tub to sit inside the sink so I can fill her bath and then run the water to the side for until I get her in the tub...she likes my hand towels I've noticed also she get cozy in them when I'm drying her shell off. so cute!!! My husband wont touch her but I catch him peeking at her from time to time and the other day I heard him talking to her!!! hahaha busted!!!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
She seems very cute. Love the part about catching your husband talking to her. Lol. I think it's so cool how they get into their routines and their personalities. I can't wait for summer when I can take him outside. I think I will try and make him an enclosure to have outside but I did see someone just used a small baby plastic pool. That's one of the things I love about this site, it gives you so much information and ideas.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I'm anxious for summer too!!! A baby pool is a good option for me because I rent but I'm not really interested in keeping her outside overnight...it worries me..I want to feed her dandelions!! She loves kale and collards and Oregano!! I have many more things to try too when the summer comes I'll have more options, but so far if it's green she devours it!! lol she really loves collards stems!! You can hear them snapping as she munches them into oblivion!!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I won't keep Boris outside all night in the summer either. He loves Dandelion greens from our local grocery store. So far all the greens ( collards, mustard greens, kale, red leaf, endive, turnip greens) I have fed him he likes but I think the dandelions are a favorite. I am thinking of growing some of the greens myself or him this summer.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm glad your new RT is bringing you so much joy! Boris is a handsome little dude, he has nice coloring, and his shell looks healthy, too. You might file the front tip of his beak a little with an emery board, looks like it's getting a bit overgrown... I have a video about how to do that on my blog (link is in my signature).

:)

rhondak said:
I am enjoying our Russian tort. We have had him for 2 weeks now and think we have the basics down. I gave him dandelions yesterday for the first time and he loved them, I went and bought a variety of greens for him to give him his variety. When he's awake and active he is interesting to watch. He was very active yesterday. I think he is getting used to his soaks on the weekend.
I keep his basking side about 90 and his cool side is 70. The humidity is around 50.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
biochemnerd808 said:
I'm glad your new RT is bringing you so much joy! Boris is a handsome little dude, he has nice coloring, and his shell looks healthy, too. You might file the front tip of his beak a little with an emery board, looks like it's getting a bit overgrown... I have a video about how to do that on my blog (link is in my signature).

:)

Thanks! I will try to file it this weekend. He has a cuttlebone but I think he's only chewed on it one day so far. Maybe I will find a flat rock to put his food on and see if that helps. Thank you for our advice.

S

Svetlana'smom

Very handsome boy and I love the name - Petsmart must of been having a RT sale since the one here in Florida had them on sale too. I almost purchased a female from them but ended up at my local herp shop to ask some additional questions and purchased my Svetlana from their. Good luck.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Eloise's mommy said:
you can buy dandelion greens in the grocery store???

My local grocery stores here in Ohio have dandelion greens. I thought dandelions only grew as weeds in the yards. Lol. I was surprised when I saw them in the produce section. They are long green leaf stems( no flower on the tip, lol). I have read on this site a lot of comments that the Russian torts love dandelions so I was excited to not only try it but to see Boris chow them down.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I did find them at the whole foods market here but they were out of stock the guy told me they carry them all the time but they have a short shelf life so they don't stay in stock for long....I should be able to get some next week...Crossing my fingers!! Did you file Boris' beak? How'd that go?

Status
Not open for further replies.