My boy isn’t well

Alimoore

Location (City and/or State)
england
Hi all I’m new to this tortoise group x
My sulcata Jon snow will be 4 this Christmas and He’s done really well so far in eating growth and health ,
jon snow has been doing a weird noise Wednesday and thursday like a weird clear throat type of sound .. I’ll post Video ,
I have recently changed his enclosure to a huge one with no lid (been in about 3 weeks ) been waiting on Perspex to make his lid .. as the one before was a chamber type with lid to keep in humidity good and he thrived from it .Friday I come in from work and he has changed in sound rapidly I’ve called the vets Explained the situation on his breathing and had an appointment Friday evening .
The vet said his mouth noise and lungs are all clear but suggested maybe an infection starting , he advised and antibiotic injection that lasts up to 4 weeks and see how he gets on ..
well today his still doing notices now and then but it’s changed like a feral kitten Sound of growling .. he scared the hell out of me as he stretched his neck right out like he was gagging to breath making these sounds I jumping into to him enclosure and rubbed him .. he had like saliva coming from his mouth his noise is still clear ..
I said to my husband I’m convinced something is stuck in his throat and going back to the vets tomorrow just wondered if anyone has every come across this before
Thanks for reading x
For some reason I can’t upload my video xx

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi all I’m new to this tortoise group x
My sulcata Jon snow will be 4 this Christmas and He’s done really well so far in eating growth and health ,
jon snow has been doing a weird noise Wednesday and thursday like a weird clear throat type of sound .. I’ll post Video ,
I have recently changed his enclosure to a huge one with no lid (been in about 3 weeks ) been waiting on Perspex to make his lid .. as the one before was a chamber type with lid to keep in humidity good and he thrived from it .Friday I come in from work and he has changed in sound rapidly I’ve called the vets Explained the situation on his breathing and had an appointment Friday evening .
The vet said his mouth noise and lungs are all clear but suggested maybe an infection starting , he advised and antibiotic injection that lasts up to 4 weeks and see how he gets on ..
well today his still doing notices now and then but it’s changed like a feral kitten Sound of growling .. he scared the hell out of me as he stretched his neck right out like he was gagging to breath making these sounds I jumping into to him enclosure and rubbed him .. he had like saliva coming from his mouth his noise is still clear ..
I said to my husband I’m convinced something is stuck in his throat and going back to the vets tomorrow just wondered if anyone has every come across this before
Thanks for reading x
For some reason I can’t upload my video xx

Greetings. First upload your video to YouTube, then copy the YT video URL here into your thread. It will then work.

Other than being something caught in its throat, how are your temps? Is your enclosure inside or outside?
try to upload some pix of the enclosure.
Describe your heating and ambient temps.

Alimoore

england
It’s a 6ft enclosure in side my living room
Cool side is 70.8, under lamp is 77.3 and corner by is hide is 71.7 I’ve also go a humidifier going to try and create some moist as it’s so big and no lid it can’t seam to hold it .. hope you can understand

Attachments

• 9025D9D9-4546-4A1F-83DF-A6838254226B.jpeg
    9025D9D9-4546-4A1F-83DF-A6838254226B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • A63B8DBC-CE16-4D90-9FE4-A44ED4A3EC5D.jpeg
    A63B8DBC-CE16-4D90-9FE4-A44ED4A3EC5D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 7E53287A-36DA-4424-A1B1-97E78C1F63A1.jpeg
    7E53287A-36DA-4424-A1B1-97E78C1F63A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 32D88C5B-204E-48E5-A338-CCA10B800621.jpeg
    32D88C5B-204E-48E5-A338-CCA10B800621.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • B2AA507E-8130-4753-8CF5-5379E9A81C38.jpeg
    B2AA507E-8130-4753-8CF5-5379E9A81C38.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75

Alimoore

england
Greetings. First upload your video to YouTube, then copy the YT video URL here into your thread. It will then work.

Other than being something caught in its throat, how are your temps? Is your enclosure inside or outside?
sorry I’ve replied but didn’t press to reply to you direct .. instead I commented on my post ?

Alimoore

england

I have a ceramic heat lamp for night time and D3 uva uvb bulb for the day

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Yes top soil x

That would be the immediate change I would do. Orchid bark or coconut coir.
Also I would go up in the temperature. My basking spot is from 86-107. Ambient temperature is 86 and about 84-82 at night.
He lived in a cozy warm and humid enclosure for few years and now the temperature and humidity seems like might of change drastically.
I am sure one of the experts will help you out.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings again, these temps “Cool side is 70.8, under lamp is 77.3 and corner by is hide is 71.7 ”. Are WAY TOO COLD! for a Sulcata. Overall ambient temp should be a minimum of 80F.

Read Toms care guide here - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/page-5

This as well - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Ur temps need to get raised very quickly....

TEMPS (From Tom)

Heating
I use a 45-65 watt incandescent flood bulb on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get a basking area of around 95-100 directly under the bulb. In some closed chambers I go with lower wattage bulbs. This depends on many factors and no one can tell you exactly what wattage you will need in your enclosure. Let your thermometer be your guide. I use a ceramic heating element or a radiant heat panel set to 80 degrees on a reptile thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure. The basking lamp should raise the day time ambient temperature into the high 80s or low 90s. Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good. The thermostat will keep your CHE or RHP off during these times, but ready to click on after the basking lamp clicks off and the ambient temperature starts to drop at night.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your temps are far too low. 70 degrees with a humidifier running is a recipe for a respiratory infection.

Alimoore

england
Higher humidity coupled with chilly 70 degree temps is a certain recipe for sick tort. Which is what you are seeing right now.
I’ll keep it off then till I get the balance right for him .. thank you for your help and advice X

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Turn the humidifier off ASAP. Those should not be used. Maintain humidity by using a closed chamber.

Soil should never be used under a tortoise. This could also be part of the problem. Could be something toxic or irritating in there.

This species need warm temps year round 24/7. Undernormal circumstances the temp should never drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure day or night. With a sick one, keep the temp no lower than 85 at any time, and let the ambient creep into the low 90s during the day. Keep these higher temps going for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.

Your tortoise got sick because it was too cold. The cure for this is heat. This is my problem with vets. They tend attempt to treat symptoms without addressing and correcting the CAUSE of the problem. If you had simply upped your temps, the tortoise would have cured itself without all the expense and harsh drugs.

Please read this:

Alimoore

england
Turn the humidifier off ASAP. Those should not be used. Maintain humidity by using a closed chamber.

Soil should never be used under a tortoise. This could also be part of the problem. Could be something toxic or irritating in there.

This species need warm temps year round 24/7. Undernormal circumstances the temp should never drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure day or night. With a sick one, keep the temp no lower than 85 at any time, and let the ambient creep into the low 90s during the day. Keep these higher temps going for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.

Your tortoise got sick because it was too cold. The cure for this is heat. This is my problem with vets. They tend attempt to treat symptoms without addressing and correcting the CAUSE of the problem. If you had simply upped your temps, the tortoise would have cured itself without all the expense and harsh drugs.

Please read this:
Thank you for your reply @Tom I really appreciate it .. I purchased and used the humidifier on Friday as I couldn’t get humidity as no lid on my enclosure but I didn’t use it again. I now have a Perspex lid and the temps and humidity is good ?what would you recommend for substrate as he’s always been on graded top soil .. I’ve got my temperature real good now and there steady I want to change his substrate, want to get everything just perfect for him .
his breathing is still the same ? i’m doing two Warm soaks a day .. what would you recommend to help his health ? I was reading about Fortaz would you recommended it ? , I just real want my boy well again I’m heart broken seeing him this way ? I’m calling the vet back tomorrow to ask what antibiotic they gave him also the vet said it’s two weeks worth of medication .. I’m confused by this and no improvement
Thank you Alison