My boy isn’t well

Alimoore

Location (City and/or State)
england
That would be the immediate change I would do. Orchid bark or coconut coir.
Also I would go up in the temperature. My basking spot is from 86-107. Ambient temperature is 86 and about 84-82 at night.
He lived in a cozy warm and humid enclosure for few years and now the temperature and humidity seems like might of change drastically.
I am sure one of the experts will help you out.
Thank you for your reply
That would be the immediate change I would do. Orchid bark or coconut coir.
Also I would go up in the temperature. My basking spot is from 86-107. Ambient temperature is 86 and about 84-82 at night.
He lived in a cozy warm and humid enclosure for few years and now the temperature and humidity seems like might of change drastically.
I am sure one of the experts will help you out.
thank you for your reply @glitch206 im thinking of getting orchid bark tomorrow as he’s on graded top soil at the moment and I’ve always had him on this .. does yours try and eat it if so can it cause any harm to them .. I’m worried it will get lodged in his throat.. I just want my boy better it’s so heart breaking seeing him this way ??
Thanks Alison

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thank you for your reply

thank you for your reply @glitch206 im thinking of getting orchid bark tomorrow as he’s on graded top soil at the moment and I’ve always had him on this .. does yours try and eat it if so can it cause any harm to them .. I’m worried it will get lodged in his throat.. I just want my boy better it’s so heart breaking seeing him this way ??
Thanks Alison

Hey Alison,
No Herbie is not trying to eat it. He smells it and moves along.
I have the medium grade one - which is relatively big to a little tortoise, and I have it mixed with the coco coir.
When I added just the orchid bark he would just sit in one spot now he runs all over the enclosure.
I have some organic soil where the real plants are. So little soil for roots, coco and orchid.
With coco underneath I noticed that the orchid bark locked down nicely allowing Herbie to walk on it easier.

How is your little tort doing ?

Alimoore

england
Hey Alison,
No Herbie is not trying to eat it. He smells it and moves along.
I have the medium grade one - which is relatively big to a little tortoise, and I have it mixed with the coco coir.
When I added just the orchid bark he would just sit in one spot now he runs all over the enclosure.
I have some organic soil where the real plants are. So little soil for roots, coco and orchid.
With coco underneath I noticed that the orchid bark locked down nicely allowing Herbie to walk on it easier.

How is your little tort doing ?
He’s still the same .. my temps and humidity are all good now my lid has been made ,
Im so worried as he’s gasping for air and worried sick that soil will get in his mouth, I need to change this ASAP .. i’m going to get Orchard bark tomorrow also I’m calling the vet in the morning as the injection he gave He said it will last two weeks if there’s an infection starting it will sort it but I’m confused by this as he’s not improved, is it a slow release antibiotics he had and is it going to help him clear up as I feel he’s gasping more .. I’ve read others using fortaz and doing this at home, I’ve read it helps clear there breathing up, Have you heard of it ?
im so heart broken for my boy I just want him to get well ???
Alison x

AgataP

Seattle, WA
He’s still the same .. my temps and humidity are all good now my lid has been made ,
Im so worried as he’s gasping for air and worried sick that soil will get in his mouth, I need to change this ASAP .. i’m going to get Orchard bark tomorrow also I’m calling the vet in the morning as the injection he gave He said it will last two weeks if there’s an infection starting it will sort it but I’m confused by this as he’s not improved, is it a slow release antibiotics he had and is it going to help him clear up as I feel he’s gasping more .. I’ve read others using fortaz and doing this at home, I’ve read it helps clear there breathing up, Have you heard of it ?
im so heart broken for my boy I just want him to get well ???
Alison x

To be honest for the safety I would just remove the soil.
Possibly having him on a wood might be better - not an expert but that soil looks like it’s very small. There is a chance he is inhaling it, some dust from it.
Not sure what the alternative there is since you can’t get the bark right away.
I see many people put just a plain paper towel that is just little wet.
@Tom might have a better advice.

Ps.
For all the bark, soil I get I rinse it a lot before it goes in the enclosure- call me crazy.

Alimoore

england
Possibly having him on a wood might be better - not an expert but that soil looks like it’s very small. There is a chance he is inhaling it, some dust from it.

Ps.
For all the bark, soil I get I rinse it a lot before it goes in the enclosure- call me crazy.
Thank you you’ve been so helpful❣️ Got a Bissy day ahead getting orchard bark and coco .. I’m on a mission x
He seams very relaxed this morning which is good .. just giving him his morning warm soak then shopping . X

Alimoore

england

Ps.
Are these ok ? these are the ones the reptile shop Recommended x

Attachments

• B3BD8002-3C64-4AEF-A533-D0E90337D8D8.jpeg
    B3BD8002-3C64-4AEF-A533-D0E90337D8D8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 57D82A1A-F347-42B2-BDC2-038D8D2D2727.jpeg
    57D82A1A-F347-42B2-BDC2-038D8D2D2727.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Alimoore

england
@zovick @Tom could I ask you about antibiotics my vet gave him and injection on Friday of Convenia I called the vet this morning to discuss what he gave him and next step as he’s making louder noises by stretching out his neck with his mouth open .. on Friday the vet said he was all clear but gave the injection as suspected an infection starting.. today the vet said he can give him medication of a different antibiotic that’s given oral .. I can’t remember the bloody name of it ! B........ ? And said if persist he will refer him to another vet that deals more with tortoises , what’s your advice on antibiotics and which one would be best to help him clear up or would you recommend a different route
Thank you Alison

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick @Tom could I ask you about antibiotics my vet gave him and injection on Friday of Convenia I called the vet this morning to discuss what he gave him and next step as he’s making louder noises by stretching out his neck with his mouth open .. on Friday the vet said he was all clear but gave the injection as suspected an infection starting.. today the vet said he can give him medication of a different antibiotic that’s given oral .. I can’t remember the bloody name of it ! B........ ? And said if persist he will refer him to another vet that deals more with tortoises , what’s your advice on antibiotics and which one would be best to help him clear up or would you recommend a different route
Thank you Alison
Convenia is primarily used for skin infections in dogs and cats and a single injection lasts for 14 days in mammals. The manufacturer gives no dosages for reptiles, nor is there any mention of its use in reptiles on their web site. Who knows what the effect might be on the liver and kidneys of a tortoise. I don't understand why the vet gave it to your tortoise. I would heartily recommend that you go to the more experienced vet. Your tortoise needs injections of antibiotics, not oral ones. I would recommend Ceftazidime given every 48 hours for 4 or 5 doses from the symptoms you are describing. Howver, you should let the next vet know that your tortoise was given the Convenia before he/she gives it any other medications.

Good luck and please let us know what happens to your tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you Alison
FYI here is the info from Pfizer on Convenia. As you can see there is no mention of using it on reptiles nor for anything other than skin infections:

Alimoore

england
FYI here is the info from Pfizer on Convenia. As you can see there is no mention of using it on reptiles nor for anything other than skin infections:

This is why I called the vet back today once I’d read it’s for cats and dogs skin conditions And questioned it .. that’s when he suggested baytril oral soulition .. I’m so confused at what’s being thrown at me by the vet I don’t know what to do for the best ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is why I called the vet back today once I’d read it’s for cats and dogs skin conditions And questioned it .. that’s when he suggested baytril oral soulition .. I’m so confused at what’s being thrown at me by the vet I don’t know what to do for the best ?
Giving tortoises oral medications is inaccurate, difficult, carries the risk of aspiration of the medication, and is quite frustrating as well. Some vets cannot even do it safely. It is much, much easier and far more accurate to give a simple injection. Don't let the current or any new vet inject Baytril, though. That is no longer considered good for tortoises. It causes great pain as well as tissue necrosis at the injection site. Tell them you want Ceftazidime injections. It is FOR respiratory problems, not painful, and needs only be given every 2 to 3 days rather than daily.

Alimoore

england
Giving tortoises oral medications is inaccurate, difficult, carries the risk of aspiration of the medication, and is quite frustrating as well. Some vets cannot even do it safely. It is much, much easier and far more accurate to give a simple injection. Don't let the current or any new vet inject Baytril, though. That is no longer considered good for tortoises. It causes great pain as well as tissue necrosis at the injection site. Tell them you want Ceftazidime injections. It is FOR respiratory problems, not painful, and needs only be given every 2 to 3 days rather than daily.
brilliant thank you so much for your help I’m on it right now ??

Alimoore

england
You should be good to go with that.
Thank you so much for your help I’ve been lost the last few days with so much thrown at me and your support has really helped ? his enclosure in all good to go, I’ve bathed him with some reptoboost this afternoon and he’s marching around like a boss , hope this is his road of getting better .. the vet is driving me crazy as he wants to give him baytril I’ve called them and requested what @zovick has recommend so I’ll find out in the morning what’s happening ?❣️ X

AgataP

Seattle, WA
@Alimoore we are here to help.
I am pretty new to sulcata but I had Russians growing up. However so much changed.
I am obsessed reader, googler and research is something I truly enjoy.

Let’s keep out our fingers crossed that your little guy will be OK.
Big hug

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything Zovick said is spot on.

As a side note, it is very common to use drugs for exotic animals "off label". In this case, it sounds like the vet had no idea what he was doing, but in some cases, this is normal.

And again: The tortoise got sick for a reason. If that reason isn't discovered and corrected, all the medicine in the world won't help at all. Usually RIs are caused by cold damp conditions. The cure for them is heat. Lots of heat, day and night. Daily soaks to maintain hydration with the added heat. Keep the soak water warm all the way through the entire soak. When caught early, I have had good success curing RIs with no drugs, but heat is essential.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
you need fortaz imo and its once a day every three to five days depending on the severity and for almost all torts injectable is what you should be using. as tom said if this was caught early on you simply raise temps up higher then normal for a bit and they usually are fine after about a week or so. i can not give you dosage info but i will be glad to verify the dose your vet suggests if there is any question about that. IF they give you baytril injectable make sure it is diluted properly with sterile water or saline so it does not cause a necrotic spot at the inj site. it should be a 50/50 dilution but most vets should know this.