my buddy koopa kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

koopakid

5 Year Member
well folks,
im a new leopard tortoise owner. Koopa kid is a baby. he is only about 4 inches long. 2 1/2 wide. I was just wondering how you guys go about befriending your tortoises. i am trying to get him used to eating out of my hand which is working pretty well. He is kind of jumpy in the beginning but when he realizes i have food he eats it. also how long should i interact with it?

on another topic i am feeding him a mix of greens (cabbage, green lettuce and other dark green veggies). but i see a lot of sites feed leopards alfafla grass and other odd grass. I was wondering where do i get those?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
He is probably too young to eat dry grass hay yet.. but you want to get Timothy hay not alfalfa. For such a tiny guy, go to Walmart and buy the bag of hay sold inthe pet section for rabbits. To get him used to eating it.. get scissors and cut in up in tiny bits.. then dampen your lettuce mix, put it in a bag and put some of the cut up hay in and shake it. It will coat the letuce and he will eat some of it . Good way to putting vitamins on food and calcium as well.
Keep READING!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
isn't cabbage bad to feed as well? I have always stayed away from it....I didn't think there was much nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.