My carnivorous plant collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
I've seen a couple other plant aficionados here. Figured I'd share my while I was on a sharing role today.

Attachments

• image-2818441615.png
    image-2818441615.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3405568797.png
    image-3405568797.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 46
  • image-893126012.png
    image-893126012.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1439824730.png
    image-1439824730.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 47
  • image-591956489.png
    image-591956489.png
    118 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1617290817.png
    image-1617290817.png
    231 KB · Views: 54

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Neat! What are the ones with the hanging traps?

CLMoss said:
Really cool! I grow orchids. ~C

One of these days, I am going to give one of those a try.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Jacqui said:
Neat! What are the ones with the hanging traps?

CLMoss said:
Really cool! I grow orchids. ~C

One of these days, I am going to give one of those a try.

Great! I will help you any way that I can! Orchids are really easy. Now what this young man is growing... Not very easy.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
These are called Nepenthes. They are tropical pitcher plants. The pitchers that I am holding actually fill up with digestive enzymes. These guys can get big enough to digest rats! They are categorized into Highland or Lowland depending on species. Their care changes pretty greatly depending on where they come from. The Borneo species are stunningly beautiful. The small gape mouthed blood red pitchers are called Nepenthes Peter D'Amato. It's distinct shape comes from the parent plant Nepenthes Lowii. Carnivorous plants are incredibly slow growing, but care isn't too difficult, especially if you are an Orchid enthusiast. Care is about the same. Bright lights, well drained well aerated soil mix, and lots of Tlc. Nepenthes are a very showy species, that love being planted in hangers. The root systems are very thready and fragile, and are no meant for gathering nutrients, hence why they are carnivorous. They make a lovely conversation piece :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So how hard would you rate raising them? My only experience with them were those fly traps in the plastic cups they sell. Keep in mind, I have a black thumb (ie I kill cactus even :rolleyes:). :(

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the hardest, I would personally rate 3-7 depending on species. They do not need much maintenance, as long as you provide bright light (sun is always best as we say ;) ), and the right temp and humidity requirements. Highland species are both incredibly beautiful( all above pictures), and easy to care for. If you do happen to make mistakes, they are very forgiving. The problem with the highlands, though, is they grow SO slow. Expect to grow them from the 4" starter pot, to a 6" hanger in about three years. You don't have to "feed" the plant insects, if you do, it should be on a very rare occasion. I prefer to pour a diluted orchid fertilizer in the pitchers once every two months. Remember, these plants have almost NO root system, and have adapted accordingly. So you water very lightly, and rarely. I water when the top of my soil mix starts getting dry to the touch, maybe once a week. Very cool plants :D

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Not at this time :( I did have a couple a small 4" starters. And if I remember correctly, they grew painfully slow, lol. Rajah can get HUGE though. Do you have any? I am interested in seeing a decent sized plant.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Orchids are so pretty :) We should get a thread with pictures of those, if not started already.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
No, I used to have a full grown plant, but then it flowered and died. Not sure why. But I did recently see one with two nearly football size pitchers at the San Diego Botanical Garden.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I would love to attend one of those. I've been meaning to attend some of gatherings the NECPS puts on in RI. I can imagine some of the plants that are there! I love Rajah, although I think my favorite is the Peter D'Amato. I like the way the mouth gapes with the huge hourglass pitchers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.