My cherry Head was found on back, please help!

Antman1224

Location (City and/or State)
Not sure how long, Daughter found him, turned him over and by the time she got toe on the phone at work she put him in water. It took about 30 min to put him in. He was extremely lax (abnormal) he couldn't move his limbs for a while. Legs outside shell, head in for a while, but eventually moved them. He bathed in the water for a little bit, drank some. He hasn't moved. He has been on the same odd position for approximately 3 hours head in she'll right front leg slightly hanging out. I have him sitting in a very shallow water pool in his enclosure, temp 85 humidity 99 with the UVB light off. Is there anything I should do for him? He's not slack nor rigid. He seems be paralized more than anything. Is this normal after trama?

Bee62

Germany
Not sure how long, Daughter found him, turned him over and by the time she got toe on the phone at work she put him in water. It took about 30 min to put him in. He was extremely lax (abnormal) he couldn't move his limbs for a while. Legs outside shell, head in for a while, but eventually moved them. He bathed in the water for a little bit, drank some. He hasn't moved. He has been on the same odd position for approximately 3 hours head in she'll right front leg slightly hanging out. I have him sitting in a very shallow water pool in his enclosure, temp 85 humidity 99 with the UVB light off. Is there anything I should do for him? He's not slack nor rigid. He seems be paralized more than anything. Is this normal after trama?
Hello, to be paralized is normal after such a trauma. Torts can hardly breathe when they are on their back. Your tort has a shock. Keep her warm . I think that is all you can do. Maybe some other member has another idea what to do.
Can you take a picture of your tort and upload it ? How old is your tort ?
Does she react when you touch a leg or head ?
My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery of your tort, and welcome to the forum. I am sorry that the circumstances are so bad.

Antman1224

Thank you so much for getting back. He's about 8 months old. I moved him at one point over the last 2 hours, his limbs weren't slack, I think I noticed an arm twitch, but his head is in she'll kinda slcked open. Should I keep him in the water or move him? I read that you should put him in water to calm him. Pic coming.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you so much for getting back. He's about 8 months old. I moved him at one point over the last 2 hours, his limbs weren't slack, I think I noticed an arm twitch, but his head is in she'll kinda slcked open. Should I keep him in the water or move him? I read that you should put him in water to calm him. Pic coming.
I would take him out of the water asap. Are the nostrils under water ? He could drown. He is stressed and wants to sleep but not in water. That is stressfull too. Hopefully he is still alive.... Younger torts can cope better with lying on their back than older ones.
Keep him warm and humid over the next hours. You can do nothing than hope that he revovers.

Antman1224

No he was just in a damp spot in his water dish. It didn't even come over his plastron. I took him out though, my daughter said she saw him drink the water earlier. When I took him out I touched his leg. Moved it a little with his nail and it moved back in place so not hard to move and not so limp that hit stayed in place. Temp is 85 humidity is 99%. Thank you for your prayers.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171220_194939.jpg
    MVIMG_20171220_194939.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 51

Bee62

Germany
No he was just in a damp spot in his water dish. It didn't even come over his plastron. I took him out though, my daughter said she saw him drink the water earlier. When I took him out I touched his leg. Moved it a little with his nail and it moved back in place so not hard to move and not so limp that hit stayed in place. Temp is 85 humidity is 99%. Thank you for your prayers.
Temps and humidity are fine. After the next hours we should know more. Please keep us updated. I hope so much that your cute baby tort is okay.

Antman1224

Thank you, this forum has lead my way of care for the past couple of months. Thank you for your information and comfort bee.

zovick

10 Year Member!

How long do you think the tortoise was upside down before your daughter found it? Was it under a light which may have overheated it also?

Is the tortoise still living today? If so, is it any better or is it still the same as yesterday?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Leave him alone.
By the second day it should be obvious if he is dead or not. But damage from overheating might cause death days later. Keep him humid and warm 80-85 is great.
Try to determine what object your tortoise climbed and fell over from and remove that item from the enclosure.
Good luck.

Antman1224

I regret to inform you that our Tort Gerald has passed away. I did my best with him, I feel like I failed him. We took him to the vet, although I was giving him calcium regularly and had a bone in his enclosure it wasn't enough to carry him through such trama. Thank you for all your advice and prayers. You guys are awesome, keep raising awesome torts.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I regret to inform you that our Tort Gerald has passed away. I did my best with him, I feel like I failed him. We took him to the vet, although I was giving him calcium regularly and had a bone in his enclosure it wasn't enough to carry him through such trama. Thank you for all your advice and prayers. You guys are awesome, keep raising awesome torts.

Oh no! I am very sorry :(

Reactions: orv

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Oh no! I am very sorry :(
You've now had the opportunity to learn from mentors on our wonderful forum. Caring for a pet as well as growing through the mourning process is a part of your daughter's growing up experience. You'll never be able replace the beloved pet that's lost, but making a new friend can bring joy and the opportunity to grow and share further. I'm sorry for what is lost, but a new life is ready for you to rescue.

Bee62

Germany

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss, but:
Please don`t punish yourself ! It was not your fault that your tort died. It was no lack of calcium or whatever the VET may told you.
When a tort lies on his back for a longer time he dies because of difficulty to breathe and of a shock/ trauma. Sometimes they overheat when they lie under a heating lamp on their back. But they never die because they got to less calcium before such an accident happens.
I say it again: It was not your fault.
It was an accident that can happen with a tort.
Try again with another tort baby and raise yourself an awesome tort.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We've all (most) lost tortoises in the past.
I also had one die from flipping over while I was away for the day.
Learning from these unfortunate events help us become better keepers.
Calcium would not have helped.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry you lost your tortoise due to this unfortunate accident.
All the best of luck with the next one!
We live and learn, all of us.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
From his shell growth looks like you were doing a great job. Sorry you lost him and hope you won't give up on tortoises:tort:.