My custom tort table

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
hey guys, i forgot to post some pics of the table i built last summer, so this is it. i built it my self, its all made of ply wood, and some deck screws (an over kill for this job as i found out) , and some tile (you cant see the rock tile, i cover'd all of the tile with substrate) . its 6 1/2 ft long, by 3 1/2 ft wide. cost about 60 dollars in wood, and maybe 8 bucks in tiles. not perfect, but does the job, im actually going to start a new build soon, im now having issues with temps due the my family blasting the a/c, but over all with 3 daily misting's , and my 2 heat lamps, it does what i need it to do temp and humidity wise. i have some real grass growing on one side, and i do have a few other decorations that i just haven't added in yet, i have 4 hides, 2 log hides, 2 plant pot hides, 2 separate feeding trays, and 2 clay trays for water, so each tort has its own heat lamp, its own food tray, and 2 of their own hides , and some fake plants for shade, let me know what ya thinkDSCF9244.JPG DSCF9247.JPGDSCF9251.JPG

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Nice and open. Maybe just a couple more plants? do the UVBs get good coverege? (think I saw 2?)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Do they really need coverage? I think if there are in some parts it ok, since they will walk through the place & also bask there...
Hmm, I just think that if it was everywhere, they could have without needing to sit under it, because as UVBs don't provide heat, tortoises aren't drawn to them as they would with their basking bulb (unlike bugs :p) It would also provide more light for a more natural 'day' setting, and could help with that plant (added bonus!) I am sure some people disagree, and I would totally say to have some places to escape the UV rays, like in the wild, but it seems @IBeenEasy has some of those places!
As for the plants, I just think it provides shade, humidity, and fresher air to their enclosure. Fresh air and humidity are important, especially if you have an enclosed table (even with a screen lid) because it's better for them. They are also healthy if you plant edible and nutritious lettuces, other and flowers, and can help with their diet. It could also give the tortoises a more 'natural' feel, and be more comfortable in their environment. Plants provide sight blockers, which can also help the tort feel as if it's territory extends FOREVER :D
They also look nice :p

Last edited:

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Nice and open. Maybe just a couple more plants? do the UVBs get good coverege? (think I saw 2?)
uvb is good, i have one uvb right in the middle of the table, and i actually have some more plants , but i was out of rocks to hold them in the pot loll, ill put some more stuff in this weekend and get a video for you guys!