Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As I was taking Maggie around the property looking at the turtles, there was a commotion in the pond as the basking turtles saw us approaching! So the turtles are ok, and some of the mosquito fish are still alive, but ALL the gold fish have been "fished." Here's the turtle that leaped off the bank as we approached:

phrynopshillari-2.jpg

phrynopshillari.jpg

As you can see, the water is so clear that you can see the bottom. But as more of the turtles wake up, they will stir up the silt on the bottom and the water will be murky again. Actually, the Phrynops doesn't hibernate, but seems impervious to the extreme cold water. The pond actually froze over two winters ago, when we had that killing frost, but she was ok.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
looks like she has been hiding in the bottom... these sunny days are going to confuse a lot of the outdoor critters.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay! Do you know how many turtles you have in that pond? Do you have to feed them or is there enough in there for them?

I had a pond growing up with koi and goldfish and I always wished we could have gotten some turtles. The fish got eaten a few times by predators from the air and ground, sadly enough. My dad built it all by himself with no power equipment--took over a week I think. Too bad we moved.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tortoisenerd said:
Yay! Do you know how many turtles you have in that pond? Do you have to feed them or is there enough in there for them?

There are 6 female RES, appx. 8 male and female rehab'd pond turtles, the Phrynops, 3 Florida soft shells (I think 2 male and 1 female) and one diamond-back terripin. This is too many turtles for such a small pond, but so far its working out ok. I feed them enough that there is no fighting (also the water is usually too murky for them to see each other). I feed veggies, chicken and trout chow. They all eat out of my hand...er...tongs!

Yvonne

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Great News on the turtles! I'm hoping all will be fine with mine also when the time comes but it's way to cold for anything to be happening now.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are so lucky. My pond is covered with snow, except for a little hole from the defroster. I wonder what's going on down there. Guess Ij'll have to wait for the Spring ......sigh....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
You are so lucky. My pond is covered with snow, except for a little hole from the defroster. I wonder what's going on down there. Guess Ij'll have to wait for the Spring ......sigh....

Yes, I would have to say quite lucky!! The past 5 days have been sunny and in the 60's. Almost spring-like! It is still down below freezing at night, but the days are absolutely beautiful!! I was out trimming my rose bushes just now in shirt sleeves (well, pants and the rest of the shirt too!).

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There aren't too many of us Clovisites here on the forum. Glad to meet you!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.