My Diamondbacks :) And looking for tips

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I finally took the plunge and got back into diamondbacks :) I havent had one for years and ive been avoiding water turtles for ages just sticking to my tortoise projects but i decided to sell my last asian arowana and had a monster aquarium to spare.... and I lucked out :)

Ive been collecting babies for grow outs And made some new breeder friends.
033_zps29b8c701.jpg

001_zps29f63759.jpg

and finally came across a small group of adults for sale that would work in the big tank.
012_zps4493b0ad.jpg

Its a 300 gallon with a 120 gallon sump and a bio reactor so water quality is very good. I made a tank topper for a decent sized basking area they seem to love it.
041_zps763f8ad5.jpg

040_zps49322080.jpg

023_zps69cc36b6.jpg

I just got her set up so I havent added a nest box yet, i hope this setup works as well as a pond would..... because its too heavy to sell now LOL

Im pretty excited about this project and I feel very good about it so now im looking for some hands on advice :)
Any tips or tricks you keepers have learned over the years?
Im using fresh water, around 8 ph and 80 degrees. tons of water changes and triple filtration. feeding mazuri, prawns, bloodworms and zoo med.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I add salt to the water for all of my aquatics. Are you using any for them? It may be worth consideration. Doesn't need to be brackish per say, but I would add it.

Also, when building nest boxes, I try to keep the level they may dig to, above the water level, since some keepers have reported turtles may not use nesting areas below water levels that will have a better chance of flooding.

I love the tank. I am very jealous to see it. So big and beautiful.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Anthony,
Any idea what % you use? I have kept reefs in the past so its not a problem and i have salt on hand as well as a refractometer.... Im just worried about having to supply them fresh water twice a week if i go the salt route.... the hatchlings are buggers to catch nevermind the adults with 8 feet of swimming space 3 feet deep LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. They are beautiful. But boy, when you said you decided to get back into them, you weren't kidding. :D. Good luck, hope it all works out fantastic for you. Love the tank.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Very big enclosure! Wow that's awesome! Looking good. Hopefully they will lay some eggs for you.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wow Mel, They look fantastic!!!
Congrats on finding the groups.
The tank looks amazing.Love all the out of water space too-thats really good.
What is a bio reactor?
Good luck with your new project!:)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Hustler said:
Anthony,
Any idea what % you use? I have kept reefs in the past so its not a problem and i have salt on hand as well as a refractometer.... Im just worried about having to supply them fresh water twice a week if i go the salt route.... the hatchlings are buggers to catch nevermind the adults with 8 feet of swimming space 3 feet deep LOL

I use a touch more than what is called for in freshwater fish aquariums. I first used it when I kept DBTs years ago, and have continued to use it in all of my setups since. Before then, I had lost Emys orbicularis and Clemmys guttata to fungal issues. Since I've used salt I have had zero fungal situations arise, which has been exciting since I keep so many species that can be prone to fungal infections.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I will try and dig up a good calculator for how many KG ill need to get it going with the salt, Also do you use it with sliders, snake necks ect? do you have any issues with no fresh water or do you take them out and soak them a few times a week?

A bio Reactor is an external bio filter filled with tiny moving bio balls that never stop rotating...... Its KILLER! I used it on my reef as well as breeding stingrays with zero ammonia or nitrates. Its big though, about 3 feet tall
010_zps7977e3ea.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Everything looks great!

Yes I use it for everything. I don't believe it is enough to turn the water brackish. I use it for RES, Actinemys, Emydoidea, Sternotherus, Kinosternon, Clemmys, Emys, and Cuora. I have not needed to make any accommodations for drinking water to this point.

Like I said, I use the same amount that would be used for aquarium fish that probably live in some of the same environments as the turtles we keep. Just a little bit to help heal any cuts/scrapes, ward off parasites and fungus, etc. I know some soft-shell keepers that use considerable amounts of salt in their enclosures.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
For whatever it's worth - http://www.turtletary.com/specials.htm

The set-up from above will be "improved on" in the spring. Most likely a UV clerifier will be added to the "NESTING" tub also. [ would you like to see the outside arrangement? I can post it here or start a topic on it ]

A good friend of mine was also into "REEF" everything.. so he also "over-kill" filtered his terrapins - "Best to have it and not need it.. than to need it and not have it" !

With the filter system you use [ especially if introduced as hatchlings and raised in fresh ] any additional salt is really not needed - most seldom ever filter that thoroughly like you do!!! However if you choose to keep their water at 1.006 or above they will need to drink fresh every 3-4 days.. which can be done when feeding in separate container of fresh water

Currently I use straight fresh in the winter indoor tubs.. and feed them in a seperate smaller tub - which really helps keep the water clean. And then always scoop out any waste that follows.

Beautiful WHITES you have there!!! You don't need any other advice -- always helps to be assured tho' doesn't it?

Fantastic job [ can't find your name anywhere??? ].................. if i would pay attention I would see it --- MEL!

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Thanks to everyone :)
Ive missed these guys so much and I just want to know im doing everything i can for them.
Please feel free to throw any tidbits at me Im like a sponge for info and first hand is a ton better than the mix of care sheets im lost in :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This species is beautiful. I love the blue and spots.