My dog got to my Russian...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kira

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
So I left Shelly outside in her outdoor enclosure to soak up some rays because it's already 90 degrees here (!)
Well, I told my mom & went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Thirty minutes later I come back home to my mom telling me she forgot Shelly was outside & let the dog out. Long story short, my dog got to my turtle, brought her to the grass and started chewing on her shell. Not too much damage was done before my mom caught him, but he did manage to chip off some of her shell (left bottom edge)
My mom called the vet & the vet said not to worry because it was only a little bit that was chipped and there was no bleeding.
But my question is will it grow back? I felt so horrible that I started crying.

She was in a little bit of shock, but she's fine now and started eating. Needless to say my dog got put in timeout outside and he'll be closely watched whenever she's outside.

Attachments

• photo (27).jpg
    photo (27).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
RE: My dog got to my russin...

Can you post a picture?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm glad your tortoise is not too bad.

At the same time, please do not banish the dog to the outside for doing what comes natural. The dog needs supervision, not punishment.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are the luckiest owner today. The damage isn't as bad as I first feared, but ax Tom once said recently on a thread, torts and dogs don't mix. Unless you can be.100% sure that your dog can't attack your tort again, I would consider giving one or the other up. Otherwise, it will happen again some day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear about your tort. Glad he's okay though. I would suggest building your tort a dog safe enclosure. This way he can be outside, the dog can be outside and you can run your errands and your mom doesn't have to be responsible. Moms usually have a lot running through their minds at the same time. It's not really fair to put remembering the tort is outside, while your going to the store on her. The dog will always want out at the worst times.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm really glad your tort is ok! I am a dog lover too, but after reading many posts on here about mixing dogs and torts I choose not to add a dog to my family. I would build a dog proof enclosure and not allow them together unsupervised. My two cents...

Life is good

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
I will not be giving up my tort nor my dog. Both are true members of our family now and will continue to stay that way. I will, however be building a safe enclosure for her; which is actually already in the works. She was in a temporary enclosure when this happened, which I take full responsibility for. I just wasn't thinking.
Everyone's fine so I'll be putting this behind me. It could have been a lot worse, and I thank God it wasn't.

Lesson learned, & this won't be happening again.

I'll be posting pictures of the enclosure when it's finished! It might take awhile, but I plan to finish it before summer starts. I want her to have the summer outside.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's exactly right. Unless she is a huge dog, you should be able to use galvanized mesh on a sturdy frame to keep your tortoise safe.
Do a search for 'predator proofing', etc. (just because that will lead to more threads). :)

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
AJ, my dog, is good about not getting into things he knows he shouldn't. If it's closed off, he won't try to get into it, however if it's open he'll take that as it is. So building an AJ-proof shelter is fairly easy. (Note how I say "AJ-proof," he's a very obdient dog. Definitely has his own personality.)
We have an interesting family, but it's our family. Definitely rescue-pet dominated.

Shelly will be safe from here on out!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
kira said:
I will not be giving up my tort nor my dog. Both are true members of our family now and will continue to stay that way. I will, however be building a safe enclosure for her; which is actually already in the works. She was in a temporary enclosure when this happened, which I take full responsibility for. I just wasn't thinking.
Everyone's fine so I'll be putting this behind me. It could have been a lot worse, and I thank God it wasn't.

Lesson learned, & this won't be happening again.

I'll be posting pictures of the enclosure when it's finished! It might take awhile, but I plan to finish it before summer starts. I want her to have the summer outside.

Awesome!!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Thanks for sharing your story Kira. Its hard to admit mistakes, but the lessons learned here will help other tortoise owners avoid the same problems. I'm impressed by your willingness to take responsibility for your role, your loyalty toward both animals, and your initiative to build the tort a new enclosure so it doesn't happen again. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry this happened, Kira...but don't get mad at either your mom or the dog. These things happen. You accept it, do what needs to be done, and move on.

The damage to the shell is not bad. Just keep some neosporin on it to deter flies from laying eggs on the spot. It will be just fine. And no, it won't grow back, but its really not bad at all.

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
Thank you guys! I appreciate the support. If I touch that spot where her shell chipped off would it hurt her?

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Hard to say about the pain... Really depends on the depth of the injury. Thanks for posting your story, I have certainly had my fair share of close calls over the years! Above all, dogs, humans and raccoons worry me; and yes, in that order.
Best of luck building the AJ proof enclosure. I'm sure it'll go just fine!
Thea

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm glad that you'll be building a safe place for your tort. I have a feeling, until the shell heals a bit, that it would be painful to the touch. I'd just let it be for now so your tort can concentrate on food and the good life you'll give him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.