My dog is afraid of her water. Your thoughts?

janevicki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Was that after the dog ate and drank perfectly fine before?
Suki was great for a couple of years and the behavior seems to have popped up overnight.
Luckily, I just found that she'll also drink from a bowl while I'm sitting on the couch as long as I'm holding her to make her feel safe.
That'll be easier than getting up off of the floor every few hours.
I've placed 3 other water bowls in 3 other rooms and she does the same thing....Slowly and deliberately walks up to the water. Looks at it. Starts to shake in fear and walks, sometimes runs away. Really, she sometimes spins around in a 180 and takes off at high speed like she just saw something that scared her to death.
Something traumatic happened in, on, or near her old water bowl. I don't think anything else makes sense. And even that is not a great theory. But it's one mentioned before.
Take care! You are very sweet to love your Chihuahua so much. Chihuahuas are lap dogs and they require/expect more TLC (tender loving care) than most other breeds. Hopefully this trauma will pass for her.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My cat Sammy will drink from any one of the four water dishes in the house. But he has extra places that are his too...he has a cup that sits on the bathroom vanity. It must be refilled every night. If I fail to do so, he will loudly cry until I do.

He likes drinking out of a dirty dish left in the sink that has water in it.

And he understands that when the toilet flushes, it has nice fresh water in it. Yum!

2013-10-16 09.17.55.jpg 2013-10-16 09.17.45.jpg

maggie3fan

Corvallis Oregon
My cat Sammy will drink from any one of the four water dishes in the house. But he has extra places that are his too...he has a cup that sits on the bathroom vanity. It must be refilled every night. If I fail to do so, he will loudly cry until I do.

He likes drinking out of a dirty dish left in the sink that has water in it.

And he understands that when the toilet flushes, it has nice fresh water in it. Yum!

View attachment 303269 View attachment 303270
Ohhh pretty kitty!

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
Small dog??? My son has a Golden Doodle and a dubble doodle...both of them are 80 lbs and more...am I misunderstanding?

Last August I adopted an 11 yr old cat from the local humane place....I was told that he will only eat if you pet him and stay with him while he eats...(oh hell no)...so I set up his bowls and food at the 'feeding station'...and I said" this is your home now and forever...you are safe here" and walked away...it took 3 days before he would eat by himself...I am not in the least suggesting this is your solution...just repeating my experience...and sorry I am not a dog person...but I commented anyway...;)
@maggie3fan Just to clarify, I'm calling our dog a miniature golden doodle now. She is about the size of a cat. Definitely, not as big as the full size ones!