My dogs chew the tortoise poop!

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
Two of my dogs really like to chew the pieces of tortoise poop.

Is this dangerous?

Thanks all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Two of my dogs really like to chew the pieces of tortoise poop.

Is this dangerous?

Thanks all

A lot of dogs do that. There is a possibility of the dogs picking up intestinal parasites if your tortoise is carrying and shedding them in that particular turd. I don't think it is all that much of a risk to your dog in most cases. In all my years, I have not heard of a dog getting sick from eating tortoise poop.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My dog also love tortoise poop. He only has access to the large Sulcata yard when I am out there too but it's a constant training ritual I am going through to have him "leave it"! He's still only 6 mos old and now pretty good at my command but still absolutely loves to chew those huge turds if he gets a chance!

I asked my vet (who is also one of my reptile vets) about the possible problem and he said he wouldn't worry at all. He said reptile parasites aren't transmissible to dogs. Reptile to mammal etc.

Since its come up here would love to get @deadheadvet opinion on that or one of our other vets on the forum

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The dogs should not be getting close enough to your tortoise to be chewing the poop. It's also not really healthy for your dogs. When you see poop, it should be picked up.
Don't know about you, Barb, but every time I go into the tortoise yard, there is new poop! And lots! My dog goes with me as all the tortoise way outweighs him - the largest by 5 times!

Not only that - want to see your tortoises go crazy - let them find some dog poop you didn't know was there! I believe that is an important part of their diet in the wild - animal poop!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Dogs will not get tortoise parasites except some protozoans. My concern is in regard to certain bacteria that tortoises can shed. E. Coli comes to mind. I don't worry about Samonella except with aquatic turtles. My advice which I adhere to is: my dogs don't get near it. It's picked up and disposed. I hate seeing the tortoises eat it. Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Entameba, come to mind that dogs could get if they ingested contaminated feces.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I would never let a tortoise eat dog feces. With all the dogs taking Ivermectin and flea control that is excreted in the feces, good chance for tortoise death. This isn't the wild where wild animals get dewormed and shed chemicals in the feces. There are things called fences that separate reptiles from our canine companions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't know about you, Barb, but every time I go into the tortoise yard, there is new poop! And lots! My dog goes with me as all the tortoise way outweighs him - the largest by 5 times!

Not only that - want to see your tortoises go crazy - let them find some dog poop you didn't know was there! I believe that is an important part of their diet in the wild - animal poop!
In the wild, animals are not getting medicated, that could pass through to the tortoise that is eating the poop. My dog is not allowed in the tortoise area. A dog won't die from eating tort poop, but it's not the healthiest thing to let them do either. They could get sick from it, or if your tort does have worms, etc, well now it could be passed to your dog. A tortoise could however be poisoned by eating dog poop (heartworm meds, flea meds, other types of worm meds, etc). Not a good practice and if one is watching their dog eat poop, then it should be picked up. I don't let tort or dog poop sit around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dogs will not get tortoise parasites except some protozoans. My concern is in regard to certain bacteria that tortoises can shed. E. Coli comes to mind. I don't worry about Samonella except with aquatic turtles. My advice which I adhere to is: my dogs don't get near it. It's picked up and disposed. I hate seeing the tortoises eat it. Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Entameba, come to mind that dogs could get if they ingested contaminated feces.

What about pinworms? I've been told the eggs are small enough and light enough to be carried on the wind. We were constantly battling infestations in the chimps. Are the reptile pinworms a different species than the mammal pinworms?

As always, thank you for the knowledge.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Just to clarify about Pinworms:
Humans get Pinworms from other Humans
Rabbits get Pinworms and give it to other rabbits
Tortoises get Pinworms and give it to other Tortoises.
Dogs and cats do not get Pinworms. So if you are taking your child to the Pediatrician and the child has Pinworms, inevitably the MD will blame the dog. MD's get about 2 weeks of Parasitology and that explains their lack of knowledge in regard to parasites. We had 2 semesters in comparison.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I make my rounds in the a.m. Misty stays out of the Aldabran yard until I've gone in there and picked up the poop. But if I'm not near that yard, and she can't see me, she hops right in and pulls the large poops apart. I don't know how much of it she eats, but she seems to love pulling it all apart. Then, when I see what she's doing and I shout out in a very obnoxious voice, "GA-A-C-K!!!!" She immediately drops the poop and hops out of that yard. So she's trained to not eat tortoise poop when the human is around. I pick up Aldabran poop three or four times a day. All the other yards do just fine with a once a day treatment.

That's interesting about the pin worms. Thanks for that.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I don't have tort poop yet, but my dog loves him some turkey poop!