My dude won’t eat

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
Hey y’all, it been a long time since I’ve visited the forum. I’ve been a member for a long time and have had several Russians now but I have come across an issue that I don’t have an answer to but I know someone here can help. I adopted a male Russian about a month and a half ago and he lives in an enclosure I built that is 8’x2’ and each end has a basking area ranging from 90-100 degrees depending on which end he’s at and the middle area is around 75 degrees and has a proper UV light. I soak him every other day and he gets a varied diet of dark leafy greens. When I first got him it took him five days before he would eat anything which was expected since he had just moved to a new spot and it takes time to adjust. He was never a voracious eater at least not like the Russians I’ve had before him but I chalked it up to it being winter time in Oregon so he’s slowed down. Now however he’s stopped eating all together and doesn’t seem to want to do anything except sleep. Even when I get him warmed up from a good long soak as soon as I pull him out he immediately wanders to the nearest corner to sleep. Maybe I’m overreacting and this is just his normal winter routine but it’s been almost a week and a half and he hasn’t eaten anything. He’s been pooping and has normal urates. Last night however was the first time his poop has been very small. Almost as though the tank is empty. I’m considering a vet visit but one I don’t know of any reptile vets near me and two if I do r have to spend a bunch of money I don’t really have then I’d rather not. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If y’all think I should get him to a vet I will find on and make the appointment.

thank you

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Any idea what he had been eating prior to you getting him. Torts can be very stubborn and changes in their diet have to be gradually made

Sa Ga

MN
These guys really cause us a lot of worry, don't they? ?

My Russie definitely slowed her eating waaaaay down this winter and always wants to dig in and sleep. Your guy may want to hibernate, or he may be sick. (Helpful, right?) Right now, besides any acute illness, dehydration can be a danger. Make sure you're continuing to soak him and maybe add some carrot baby food and/or some Pedialyte (switch off). If he doesn't eat at all, at least he'll have good hydration.

However, I would take him in if he's not eating anything within this week. To learn how to give supportive care, (possible tube feeding and hydrating) if not to diagnose any illness.

Make sure you see an experienced, competent vet who treats your kind of tort (they're not all the same!).

Best wishes and please keep us posted! ❤

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
These guys really cause us a lot of worry, don't they? ?

My Russie definitely slowed her eating waaaaay down this winter and always wants to dig in and sleep. Your guy may want to hibernate, or he may be sick. (Helpful, right?) Right now, besides any acute illness, dehydration can be a danger. Make sure you're continuing to soak him and maybe add some carrot baby food and/or some Pedialyte (switch off). If he doesn't eat at all, at least he'll have good hydration.

However, I would take him in if he's not eating anything within this week. To learn how to give supportive care, (possible tube feeding and hydrating) if not to diagnose any illness.

Make sure you see an experienced, competent vet who treats your kind of tort (they're not all the same!).

Best wishes and please keep us posted! ❤
You and I seem to be thinking along the same lines. I didn’t think about the pedialyte idea, which is dumb because I just recommended that to someone the other day lol. I know a good reptile vet can be hard to find so I reached out to another community of Russian owners to see if anyone knows of one near me. I got a couple recommendations to check into. I’ll give it to next Monday and if he isn’t eating I’ll call and make an appointment. I’m not to concerned about dehydration. He gets long soaks every other day if more regularly. For the carrot/pedialyte soaks I should make it a 50/50 mic correct?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Any idea what he had been eating prior to you getting him. Torts can be very stubborn and changes in their diet have to be gradually made
I don’t really know, I think it was a spring mix of sorts but I’ll have to reach out and ask. Good idea thank you.

Triplejester

Louisiana
I'm having the same exact problem. I got my tortoise last Sunday and have all the temps correct. I offer it everything I can to eat and nothing. I give soaks every other day and it is still urinating and pooping but the pooping is getting light. I have no idea what to do. Starting to get really frustrated.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I'm having the same exact problem. I got my tortoise last Sunday and have all the temps correct. I offer it everything I can to eat and nothing. I give soaks every other day and it is still urinating and pooping but the pooping is getting light. I have no idea what to do. Starting to get really frustrated.
If you got him just last Sunday you’re totally fine. Mine took five days before he ate after I first got him. I had one I let try prickly pear cactus one time and he liked it so much he refused to eat anything else for two weeks. Give him some more time to adjust and I bet he will come around. I’ve always been told that if they aren’t sick they won’t starve themselves... for to long lol

Sa Ga

MN
You and I seem to be thinking along the same lines. I didn’t think about the pedialyte idea, which is dumb because I just recommended that to someone the other day lol. I know a good reptile vet can be hard to find so I reached out to another community of Russian owners to see if anyone knows of one near me. I got a couple recommendations to check into. I’ll give it to next Monday and if he isn’t eating I’ll call and make an appointment. I’m not to concerned about dehydration. He gets long soaks every other day if more regularly. For the carrot/pedialyte soaks I should make it a 50/50 mic correct?
@Yvonne G @Tom @ZEROPILOT , I've actually never done a carrot bath myself. What is the "recipe " you recommend?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Yvonne G @Tom @ZEROPILOT , I've actually never done a carrot bath myself. What is the "recipe " you recommend?
A warm tap water soak. With some carrot or sweet potato baby food mixed into it.
Most tortoises drink some water. And this way they also take in some nutrients.
This can jumpstart a tortoise to start eating again. But not always.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises CAN go a very, very long time without eating. Especially if they're still drinking.
But to simply say that. We're missing the point:
1) Not eating is not normal. There's a reason why.
2) Do we know how long it's been? In the case of a new to you tortoise, that's a no.
3) Is there more than one tortoise in your enclosure?

First, go over all of your husbandry...Lighting, heating, food and enclosure.
If this is all correct. Then the animal is physically ill and not simply stressed.
And you need to consult a reptile/exotic animal vet.

Triplejester

Louisiana
So this mix is put directly in the soak water and stirred? I'm hoping my tortoise comes around soon. The soaks wake him up and makes him really active for about 30 minutes after. After a soak is the only time also he uses his basking area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So this mix is put directly in the soak water and stirred? I'm hoping my tortoise comes around soon. The soaks wake him up and makes him really active for about 30 minutes after. After a soak is the only time also he uses his basking area.
When I said I mix it 50/50, I mean half Gerber strained carrots and half warm water, mixed together and put into a bowl with tall sides and a small footprint. Leave the tortoise in the solution for at least 45 minutes, and longer is even better.

Triplejester

Louisiana
If the tortoise is pooping then it has to have something it it's stomach right? The pet store said my tortoise was about 5-6 months. I have attached a picture of the poop. Does it look normal?

Attachments

• 20200220_195632.jpg
    20200220_195632.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 25

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi triplejester, I am having the same problem at this very moment. My tort climbed under the ramp to the second level of his table and slept under there for 4 days. Tonight I lifted him out of there and he woke slowly, i fed him, and he ate voraciously as usual and is quite alert now. It's not clear why so far, as he hasnt done this prior, in 3 years, but I can find no other evidence of illness. Im fixing my habitat as well so I'll share if that helps. Consulting a herp vet monday at the latest, and will try to add anything helpful here as well.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If the tortoise is pooping then it has to have something it it's stomach right? The pet store said my tortoise was about 5-6 months. I have attached a picture of the poop. Does it look normal?
If you got your tortoise at a Pet shop chances are it's not 5-6 months old they just told you that. It's probably a wild caught adult, that's usually what they sell, especially Petco and PetSmart.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
If you purchased your tort from a retail pet store and not a private breeder he is much older that 5-6 months. 5-6 years would almost certainly be the youngest it could be. There is what is called “The four inch law” where It is illegal to sell turtles and tortoises with a shell length under 4 inches long in the United States. Some species, like Russians for example, can take 4-6 years to reach that length especially when they were living in the wild prior to being caught.