my enclosure........so far

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
my enclosure so far i still need to do more first the out door HNI_0023.JPG HNI_0024.JPG HNI_0025.JPG HNI_0026.JPG HNI_0027.JPG HNI_0028.JPG i need higher walls and will get to that soon as far as the indoor enclosure goes HNI_0032.JPG HNI_0071.JPG HNI_0073.JPG HNI_0075.JPG HNI_0077.JPG HNI_0043.JPG HNI_0044.JPG oh and if i make a 2x4 enclosure mostly for night and cold days would it be big enough

gamera154

grand terrace ca
oh and i have a way to have the lamp straght down not at an angle see HNI_0045.JPG HNI_0046.JPG HNI_0047.JPGit holds very good and its strong the gaps let me get in but if a tortoise is outside most of the day will it need uv indoors?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you let them outside then no indoor uv is needed . The only things I see is the outdoor enclosure needs higher walls . On your indoor setups just make sure your temperatures are right . With closed enclosures you have to keep a close eye out they can over heat quickly .

gamera154

grand terrace ca
yes he( im geting a male) will be out side most of the day it gets about 95-100 f under the light the enclosure is only going to be closed in some sections in attaching 2 more bins to make it bigger the heat will go trough to one of the other bins while the other two will avarage around 75 f

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What kind of tortoise are you getting?

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Russian tortoise oh and is a 2x4 big enough to house a young tort for night and cold weather it will be out side on warmer days

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your tape lid with the light on it looks quite unsteady. I would be concerned about a fire hazard there.

Your outdoor enclosure still needs secure walls.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are very good climbers, and while I applaud your ingenious design on that outdoor habitat, the tortoise will use those rough walls just like a ladder and climb right out.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Your tape lid with the light on it looks quite unsteady. I would be concerned about a fire hazard there.

Your outdoor enclosure still needs secure walls.
All the tape on the lamp holder is just for that it holds good with only like 2 of the strips but I kinda went over bord and I've been testing it to compare temps and it's strength.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
How do you stop or at least calm there erg to escape or at least not want to get out I know there wandering animals but still it must be a prob oh and the out door enclosure dimensions are 2x12 is that good

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
You can't stop the urge. You can minimize it by planting lots of plants for cover so they feel safe, but you can only prevent them from escaping with secure walls. They need to be tall and unclimbable.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
up date on the indoor enclosure replaced most of the tape holding the lamp area with string and tying it from little holes stronger than the tape was

SteveW

here's a weird question how tall are russian torts shells?

Can't help you with this bit, but I do have thoughts for you.

1) I've had good luck with cinder blocks outside. Not the most aesthetic, but functional and flexible.

2) the Godzilla is an excellent addition

3) if you start thinking Home Depot and Tractor Supply instead of Petco for your accessories, you'll save money and get better quality. Stuff like the thermometer, light fixture, and bulb are expensive and will let you down.

4) I'm not understanding the inside box, but it seems really small and the light on the top makes me nervous. What's the age/size of your tort? I'm thinking you might be better served with a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tote (or two, Siamesed together.

Hope that's helpful and good luck.
Cheers!

gamera154

grand terrace ca
oh and the "box" will be about the same size as one of the 5o gal bins by the time im done im spending about the same on 4 small ones as one big on and at the moment there easy to store until the enclosure space is free (at the moment its taken by the computer but were moving it soon ) but still can any one tell me how tall there shell bottom of the bottom shell to the top of the carpace