My experience with redfoot races

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Firstly I would like to agree with the article about redfoot races. I've always been very OCD in the respect to keep each redfoot I have acquired to be part of a breeding group but that of only the same origins they came from. Over the past 12 years I have found that some of my own research does back the theory of being different sub species. I have also found this to be true with my yellow foots. The Guyana have only been able to produce from Guyana or Suriname locals. Venezuelan have only been able to produce from Venezuelan ( at least in my attempts of breeding) Brazilian same as Venezuelan. Can't breed them with other redfoots. Bolivians and Paraguay never successfully hatched outside breeding with other redfoots I have tried in my collection. The same thing with my weird country origins redfoots (Trinidad,grenada,uruguay,Argentina,Peru,costa rica,panama and Honduras.
My suriname/Guyana yellow foots can breed and produce but not TNT Peruvian or columbian with any of the upper options.

I was wondering if anyone has kept detailed "species" or country local specific red or yellow foot torts like I have and had different successes?

Any thoughts anyone.
I'm thinking definitely There needs to be more classifications of sub-species as im a huge believer and have tried to cross breed even bordering country redfoot and have not been succeasful.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As was mentioned somewhere in that thread (I hope), there is actually DNA evidence to back up the idea that there may be several true species or subspecies here. It is my own personal opinion that there will end up being two species (Northern and Southern) with the others being subs of these.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's what I'm thinking. My facilities aren't set up for in depth lab work or DNA research. Nor would I feel qualified, but I have been thinking to use these quandaries as a thesis and partnership research with the science department at A&M university.

Status
Not open for further replies.