My Experience with TortoiseSupply's "Testudo Seed Mix"

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
You all inspired me to do a little experiment. Today I took one seed tray and cut all the plants down to the bare stems. I'd like to see how quickly they grow back to full height.

Day 68 (today):

The experimental tray:

Cutting everything from one tray yielded about 3 cups of greens:

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
The trees in my yard are all now dropping leaves, and it's been tough to keep them out of the seed trays. I'm sure that's keeping the growth from being as full as possible.

Rhonda Buchner

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario Canada
Does the package give a breakdown of what seeds are all in it? I live in Canada so I am unable to order this but am wondering about making my own seed mix.

QRoseC

Austin, TX
Someone already asked, but I didn't see an answer. What kind of soil should be used?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Any 'safe' substrate - top soil, local dirt, peat moss - just make sure no fertilizers, etc. Seeds don't grow as well in peat moss but it isn't impossible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The soil here is pure crap! Sand with a lot of rock and crushed coral and sea shells. Quite alkaline.
This used to be EVERGLADES. Down really deep, there is better soil, but I just toss it on the grounds and then place some hay on top to discourage the birds.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I purchased these seeds too when I first started my outdoor tortoise garden. They quickly returned the second season, so they re-seed very well. I ended up taking most of them out because they quickly took over the area! I wanted to add other plants and create a flower garden as well, so I have Aster, Geranium, Hibiscus, Malva, and other tasty tort snacks that add to the aesthetic value of my backyard. I'm thinking a good experiment might be to see how well the Testudo Mix does with other plants in a particular space. They seem to take over and push out other plants, which is why I'll be saving the rest of my seeds for when I modify my indoor tort enclosure. Hopefully they provide my Russian with some indoor grazing. ;)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I wish I'd taken photos of the gigantic vegetables I pulled up when I dug up the seed mix garden bed!
Same! I did have some seriously crazy radishes in the last couple years!! I kept trying to give them all away! :D

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Does anyone know how long you can store the unused seeds? I dont have a HUGE area where I can plant all the seeds, so most are still in the bag :(