My favorite tortoises

Ergotaxon

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, TX
These are my favorite radiated tortoises. The smaller one on the left is Koko. She was produced by Ed Elkas a.k.a Texas Bred Tortoises. The bigger one on the right is Albert. He was produced by Jay Russo. I was able to harvest some of the food that I grow for them today and they really enjoyed eating it. It seems like spring is here early in Texas. They really grow quickly when they eat home grown food. I am in love with my tortoises.

Attachments

• AFADB1B9-675F-475B-8735-93B9D141B15A.jpeg
    AFADB1B9-675F-475B-8735-93B9D141B15A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beautiful group. Such pretty tortoises.

As I read your words I can feel that familiar love and fascination you have for your animals. I know that feeling well. Its fantastic. The world would be a better place if everyone could feel that.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

As I read your words I can feel that familiar love and fascination you have for your animals. I know that feeling well. Its fantastic. The world would be a better place if everyone could feel that.
Agree 100 percent.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
Tha

As I read your words I can feel that familiar love and fascination you have for your animals. I know that feeling well. Its fantastic. The world would be a better place if everyone could feel tha

Thanks, Tom. I grew up in South Texas and got to see Texas tortoises as a kid. My marine biology teacher in high school was also a herpetologist. He invited me to his home and showed me his vast collection of reptiles. I have been able to see a lot of unique reptiles in Texas. I’m hoping that my nieces will inherit my tortoises when the time comes, most of them will outlive me. My fiancé also loves reptiles. She wanted to give me her tortoise hatchlings when I first met her. We now have about 25 tortoises of various species. She helps me care for them. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Take care.

Reactions: Tom

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
Tha

Thanks, Tom. I grew up in South Texas and got to see Texas tortoises as a kid. My marine biology teacher in high school was also a herpetologist. He invited me to his home and showed me his vast collection of reptiles. I have been able to see a lot of unique reptiles in Texas. I’m hoping that my nieces will inherit my tortoises when the time comes, most of them will outlive me. My fiancé also loves reptiles. She wanted to give me her tortoise hatchlings when I first met her. We now have about 25 tortoises of various species. She helps me care for them. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Take care.
One of my faves. Looking great. I’m
One of my faves. Looking great.
Thank you. I love them so much.

EricW

Houston, TX
About 2-3 weeks early. I follow SFA Garden (Stephen F. Austin University) Facebook page and they posted that "leaf" out is about 2-3 weeks early this year. I kept holding out thinking we would get another freeze, but doesn't look like it. My Herman's that burmates outside made his first appearance today since mid to late Dec.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
About 2-3 weeks early. I follow SFA Garden (Stephen F. Austin University) Facebook page and they posted that "leaf" out is about 2-3 weeks early this year. I kept holding out thinking we would get another freeze, but doesn't look like it. My Herman's that burmates outside made his first appearance today since mid to late Dec.
That’s awesome and good to know. My mulberry trees are full of fruit. I was worried about another feeze.

EricW

Houston, TX
That’s awesome and good to know. My mulberry trees are full of fruit. I was worried about another feeze.
Dwarf Mulberry is a hot garden item this year. Montgomery County Master Gardeners sold out in 5 minutes. The places I know that had them around Houston all sold out. I was hoping to get my hands on one this year to replace a citrus I lost in the freeze.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
Dwarf Mulberry is a hot garden item this year. Montgomery County Master Gardeners sold out in 5 minutes. The places I know that had them around Houston all sold out. I was hoping to get my hands on one this year to replace a citrus I lost in the freeze.
Try TyTy Nursery. They have a variety called dwarf shah reza. They don’t grow taller than about 10 feet and produce a lot of fruit. I have a few varieties from them and they have never disappointed. They are shipped bare root, but packaged really well. The roots are packed with a hydrating gel when shipped. Mine went from a 3 foot tree to a 10 footer in about a year and a half.

EricW

Houston, TX
Try TyTy Nursery. They have a variety called dwarf shah reza. They don’t grow taller than about 10 feet and produce a lot of fruit. I have a few varieties from them and they have never disappointed. They are shipped bare root, but packaged really well. The roots are packed with a hydrating gel when shipped. Mine went from a 3 foot tree to a 10 footer in about a year and a half.
Pricey, but I will consider it. Thank you. There are a few types of dwarfs out there.