My first 2 weeks, with my Desert Babies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well have had the pleasure of my 2 baby CDT.s for 2 weeks now, and wow, they are amazing!
This forum has been my daily go to, I have never read so much in a long time!
I am learning to become a better Tortoise carer, but still so much to learn, I do have a few questions,
I have them in a long aquarium, for now this was the safest solution, as I have nosy clever cats! they seen quiet happy, I have coconut coir for substrate, and keep it damp for humidity, but how deep should it be for them, I only have it a cpl inches, as worry they will bury themselves to deep.
I have them on spring mix, grass from the lawn they where born, they like a little shredded carrot and occasional Zucchini, I gave rose petals and leaves but not interested, just wondering if their diet is ok or does it need tweeking, I am sending away for some seeds to get planted.
I dont use a heat lamp over night, as here is still pretty hot especially in the house, and they do get out for roughly 30 minutes daily for natural sun, is that enough? for not to use a UV light?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
how big is the aquarium? and are they housed together or separate? DT's are very territorial and one will bully/harm the other. rose petals are okay, but not the leaves. you should add in a few more broad-leafed veggies like collards or mustard greens. make sure their enclosure is humid enough so they dont pyramid.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
The aquarium is 30 inch long and I have the bottom area covered so they don't see out, I will have a 2nd area area ready for 1 of them, as yes are housed together, at the moment, as hatchlings they do seem ok for now,I had a few say, they should be ok for 1st yr, but I will keep a eye for any bullying. I am keeping it humid for them and spray them throughout the day to, as well as soak when they come in from their daily sunning. I will pick up some collards for them, thank you :)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
and not just collards, many different broad-leafed veggies. just be sure to know which ones are safe for them. 80% of their diet is broad-leafed greens and grasses. yeah for now they should be okay, but eventually its a for sure thing. when do you plan on housing them outdoors, if at all?

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
Chive On!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Congratulations, Helen! It sounds like you're doing all the right things for them. It'll be great when your seeds come and you can get them started on some nice weeds. Nopales cactus pads are good too. I mince them up for my juvenile DTs and toss them in with other foods they like. Do they have access to calcium, either dusted on their food occasionally or via a cuttlebone?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
30 min a day is enough to not need artificial UV lighting. Even if you skip a few days it will still be ok.
In case you didn't know they can still benefit from UV while outside in shaded areas. UV rays bounce around. They don't need 30 min in direct sun light. That could lead to overheating.

No night heat is fine for DTs.

Do you provide a basking spot during the day?

I'd ditch the veggies and keep adding to your list of foods. Add a cuttlebone, soak in warm water daily and enjoy them. You are well on your way!

Sent from my TFOapp

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The one thing that stood out to me right off is that if you are running a humid/sprayed enclosure then it is not good practice to turn off the heat source during the night...the moist environment cools much more than the house their enclosure is in when the heat source is shut down...this species is very delicate when it comes to wet/cool environments and that mix should be avoided...if you are going to run the wet environment I would be certain to not let the enclosure ever ever drop below 80 degrees (at night as well)...

I would also be very in tune with making sure all three are eating similar amounts and not any one is hiding more than the others and not basking the same ---bullying is a give in for this species...especially if those little darlings are all males...likely they are---although we can not yet tell for sure--you can bet they already know what sex each is....this species is a poster child for the word gladiator....bullying is a shoe in ---so please do keep an attentive eye out for it....and its clues....

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
thatrebecca said:
Congratulations, Helen! It sounds like you're doing all the right things for them. It'll be great when your seeds come and you can get them started on some nice weeds. Nopales cactus pads are good too. I mince them up for my juvenile DTs and toss them in with other foods they like. Do they have access to calcium, either dusted on their food occasionally or via a cuttlebone?

Yes I have tried sprinkling calcium onto their food, not sure if they take it or not, I may try a cuttlebone, and ty :)

Team Gomberg said:
30 min a day is enough to not need artificial UV lighting. Even if you skip a few days it will still be ok.
In case you didn't know they can still benefit from UV while outside in shaded areas. UV rays bounce around. They don't need 30 min in direct sun light. That could lead to overheating.

No night heat is fine for DTs.

Do you provide a basking spot during the day?

I'd ditch the veggies and keep adding to your list of foods. Add a cuttlebone, soak in warm water daily and enjoy them. You are well on your way!

Sent from my TFOapp

Yes they have a basking spot provided, they also have a shaded area when outside, and I soak them when they come in. So pleased it sounds like I am getting it ok so far :)

ascott said:
The one thing that stood out to me right off is that if you are running a humid/sprayed enclosure then it is not good practice to turn off the heat source during the night...the moist environment cools much more than the house their enclosure is in when the heat source is shut down...this species is very delicate when it comes to wet/cool environments and that mix should be avoided...if you are going to run the wet environment I would be certain to not let the enclosure ever ever drop below 80 degrees (at night as well)...

I would also be very in tune with making sure all three are eating similar amounts and not any one is hiding more than the others and not basking the same ---bullying is a give in for this species...especially if those little darlings are all males...likely they are---although we can not yet tell for sure--you can bet they already know what sex each is....this species is a poster child for the word gladiator....bullying is a shoe in ---so please do keep an attentive eye out for it....and its clues....

Do you think I may be keeping it a bit to wet? I am putting a damp area in that's covered, and maybe a slight misting a cpl times a day for the rest, the coconut coir dries out pretty fast, though I have noticed in the longer tank, it lasts a little longer away from the heat lamp. I guess as the heat regulates better.

nate.mann said:
when do you plan on housing them outdoors, if at all?

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
Chive On!
Either next spring or the one after, I guess it is what is best for them, I hear housing out is better, that's gives me time to work on a safe environment for them.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
you may want to wait until they are about a year old, thats when most send them outside to live proper and healthy lives and its safer for them at that time so theyre more developed.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
Chive On!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you think I may be keeping it a bit to wet? I am putting a damp area in that's covered, and maybe a slight misting a cpl times a day for the rest, the coconut coir dries out pretty fast, though I have noticed in the longer tank, it lasts a little longer away from the heat lamp. I guess as the heat regulates better.

With this species I would not wet the entire enclosure....if you have set up a constantly warm humid hide in the enclosure (and not ever let it become a cool wet hide) this allows the tort access to get juicied up when they need it....just make sure it is large enough for the lot of them....I would primarily only wet the substrate where directly under the heat source but leave the rest not wet...this allows a warm humid area along with a cool dry area....just what I would do...

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
because they are hatchlings, it is okay for the whole enclosure to be warm and humid..sulcatas are to be raised the same way and both species live naturally in extreme dry conditions. a hot and humid hide by itself is suggested for more mature tortoises. there are many threads on this.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I raise my leopards in an entirely hot and humid enclosure but I agree with ascott on this one. For the baby DTs I'd offer just a warm humid hide. And dampen the substrate on the warm/ basking end.

Sent from my TFOapp

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
because they are hatchlings, it is okay for the whole enclosure to be warm and humid.

As you will see here, there are many opinions on this subject....also, please understand that some species are more sensitive to different health issues.....I will stand with my prior share of opinion...wet is not the cure all for a healthy tort...baby nor adult....

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
Thank you all :) I am keeping it moister at one end with a humid hide area and a drier area near the cooler end, they are seeming happy and zooming round lol It amazes how fast they can go! I have also placed some small rocks slightly submerged around the tank, to give them a different surface to clamber over. I think I may get some small plastic plants for a little decoration aswell.
I am using a 100w heat bulb, I hope thats not to high.
I am also excited to off found some Sowthistile at the side of my Garage, home grown organic weeds :D :p

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Isn't it scary funny how thrilled we get about finding weeds for tortoises ... and about things like our tortoises pooping urates ... among other things. We are geeks, I tell you, geeks! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.