My first enclosure, less than $75 spent

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
My very first enclosure, it sure needs some more decorations and hiding spots, but it covers most of the basic needs.
I take it outside during the morning if its sunny until around 4 when I take it back inside under a UVB and heating bulb.
I’m searching ideas on how to make a closed chamber to hold moisture, I might get the fluker’s reptile hide and put it somewhat forming a cave with Spanish moss to hold moisture.
I mist a full 450 ml spray bottle on it every hour when it is outside, humidity according to zoo med gauge is at 83% most of the time.
This is about 40 by 15 inches in diameter, I plan to care for my baby until he is around 1 1/2 years in this enclosure then start letting him outside during the day while still taking him in at night.

Attachments

• 24D17989-FFAB-4CB3-AE68-D71E6306A010.jpeg
    24D17989-FFAB-4CB3-AE68-D71E6306A010.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 9D984570-F1E1-4C60-B2D0-4D3D7EC50C5C.jpeg
    9D984570-F1E1-4C60-B2D0-4D3D7EC50C5C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looks good for outside you need some small rocks and I suggest a short length of guttering to block end to end vision they like to climb and walk up and down it. It does sound hard work bringing it in and out. Could you use this for outside and get a closed env for inside? There will be ants and other insects that will make home and you bring them inside. In winter you tend to stop the outside enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is a bit young to be outside that long. He will pyramid even if you had a closed chamber inside which you do need.
1/2 hour to 1 hour outside time for now is enough then back inside to a closed chamber.
Read Tom's caresheet and closed chamber threads.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Looks good for outside you need some small rocks and I suggest a short length of guttering to block end to end vision they like to climb and walk up and down it. It does sound hard work bringing it in and out. Could you use this for outside and get a closed env for inside? There will be ants and other insects that will make home and you bring them inside. In winter you tend to stop the outside enclosure.
While he is outside I keep him in 2 school desk chairs positioned facing each other.I have 1 3/4 inch of substrate, I normally ask a family member help to carry it in and out, but I am able to do it without much problem

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, I agree with @wellington, your lil one needs to be in a closed chamber environment.
It might be able to be outside for an hour or so for UVB, but ALL the other time needs to be in a closed chamber with the correct humidity!