My first question ? re outdoor playpen

Jo-Anne

Location (City and/or State)
Sussex
Hi, I’m new to this site, we have a western Herman’s tortoise of 4 years and I’m planning his outdoor enclosure (we have had him just 5 months and his indoor home is working well)

I’m not really sure where to start, I find lots of conflicting info in size/materials etc.
I would be so grateful of any of your suggestions for this outdoor playpen set up.
I’d like to give Norbert plenty of space that he can enjoy exploring, with plants and weeds that he can eat, safe and spacious.
Thankyou , Jo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Minimum size is 4x8 feet. If you can go bigger, do so.
You can use pretty much whatever you want to use. Cinder block or bricks will be more harsh on his shell when he runs against it.
Build it where there is lots of sun but also shade and yes, planting bushes or plants that is tortoise safe would help with not only shade but him feeling comfortable.

Reactions: Tom

Jo-Anne

Sussex
Minimum size is 4x8 feet. If you can go bigger, do so.
You can use pretty much whatever you want to use. Cinder block or bricks will be more harsh on his shell when he runs against it.
Build it where there is lots of sun but also shade and yes, planting bushes or plants that is tortoise safe would help with not only shade but him feeling comfortable.
Thanks Tom! Is wood ok? I read only certain types of wood. I have a dog so need to make it secure. I was planning on doing an inside bedroom type area and the rest open with top soil and some rocks, plants etc. I probably need to cover it with some chicken wire whilst he’s small.
grateful for your help!