my first sulcata. a little help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke607

5 Year Member
well i got a sulcata and i have lots of questions.
the guy i got him from said i should soak him every 2-3 weeks but if heard others say other things. he is only 6 months i named him duke. i am aware that he will get big, very big. iv aslo heard that glass tanks are bad is this true and why? how often should i handle him i dont want to handle him to much. thats about it for now. thank you :rolleyes:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...congrats on your new sulcata...you should be soaking your new sully daily. As far as glass enclosures, they are OK. But recommended ones are plastic totes. And large ones. They grow fast. Below my signature there are some threads that have very useful info for setup and care for your sulcata. I do suggest that you read them. Don't hesitate to ask us questions here. That's why we are here....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi duke607 and welcome to the Forum!

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Welcome to the forum! Definitely read the threads on the top of the sulcata section. Soaking everyday for atleast 30 minutes is very nessesary for a smooth shell. these guys are hatched in the rainy season so mother nature wants them wet for awhile. also a varied diet high in fiber is a good thing as well. You should keep track on 4 temps. Hot spot temp, warm side and cool side of tank and also night temps.

there are mixed reviews on a glass tank. a glass tank can hold humidity which is a good thing but limits the size you can keep your growing tortoise in without costing alot of money. A Sulcata will out grow a glass tank in no time so just keep that in mind before spending a lot of money.

duke607

5 Year Member
thanks. how exactly do i keep his tank humid do i just spray it with mist right? not exactly sure

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That is how I do it. I spray almost a full spray bottle (30 oz ) in the morning and at night and then about half of one in the afternoon. It keeps the humidity up to about 90 on the hot spot and 99 on the cool side. I have implemented a closed chamber effect with PVC pipes and vinyl. I am pleased with the results and it works so much better than it did when I had it open topped. I hope this helped. :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
There are a couple of things you can do to keep the humidity at a high level. Covering the top as much as possible is an important one. When you do this you may see the temperatures rise inside the chamber so you will want to monitor this so you don't over heat the tortoise. A substrate that holds the moisture and does not mold is good step also. Coconut Coir and Cypress mulch are two that worked for me. A hiding place that holds the moisture is also a good idea. There are several threads that discuss hides and how to make them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is a ton of sulcata info in my signature. Read that stuff and most of your questions should be answered. Come back with specific questions after that.

Most people dump some water in the substrate regularly and cover most of the top to create and hold in humidity. Watch your temps very closely. All the evaporation cools things and you don't want a baby getting cool and damp. I like to use a ceramic heating element on a thermostat to maintain the correct ambient day and night, and then put a basking lamp on a timer for 12 hours. All of this is MUCH easier in a closed chamber instead of an open topped enclosure.

Good luck and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.