My First Vegas Reptile Expo Experience

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Just this past weekend (October 26-27) I had my first Vegas Reptile Expo experience. Not as a customer, but as a seller for Tortoise Supply (thanks again Tyler). For having done this my first time, I'd like to believe I did pretty well. Before actually going behind the booth as a first time sales person, I had an idea of how things went and what to expect. For the most part my expectations were met, but my aspect of how things would go were mistaken. Being a sales person is hard, but the time, work and money that is being put in to attend the show is much more difficult. Tyler, made this easier for me because he was the provider, "the source" of what was being supplied; the product. You've got your variety of tortoises, enclosure supplies, supplemental dieting, food, custom display cases, business cards and all the other supplies that are necessary. Tyler's, Salad Style and Herb Mix are a process of there own to produce something that needs precision and time. The products that were being sold at the Tortoise Supply booth were already things that needed; time, work and money. Something that was apparent to me that I thought to be more important above all the rest was sacrifice. Sacrificing, time with your family, hours of your day and money, are risk. You can only hope you'll be able to make a profit from a show. This being my first show as a sales person was a great opportunity to share some knowledge and receive it, as well as being surrounded by tortoises :p. Tyler, his family and his friends were great company to be around with.

As a sales person, you've got to have basic knowledge on the tortoises you have available (history, size, diet, enclosure and if they'd do well where ever you were from) and the products that are being sold. For an example, something basic for me was to ensure everyone knew or learned about humid hides. I had a plastic container with me at all times and demonstrated a simple way of constructing one. My response went like, "you can use a Tupperware container because they're available in different sizes, flip it upside down and cut a door with scissors or if you have a dremel that works too. Use this on the substrate of your choice, I highly recommend using coco coir, cypress mulch or orchid bark, a mix between any of this would work well. Be sure to keep this on the moist area of your enclosure, something I do to keep the hide humid is spray the spot of where I place my hide and always have it on the warm end of your enclosure. Keeping it below a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat is what I would recommend." That would follow with me explaining why humid hides are necessary and beneficial etc. I rarely got into conversations about closed chambers. I had even provided more of the "updated" caring information to people who have had tortoises for years. People who got into depth with questions were always the ones most interested. People who asked to hold one most of the time were always the ones who just thought they were cute. Of course, I rarely approved of this and the times I did was when they were picking out their tortoise or consent with Tyler, or his wife. There's a lot more to being a sales person than what I've been able to share, but I would do this again if I were offered to and I had the time for it. Helping others, giving awareness, hanging out with other reptile enthusiast and being surrounded by tortoises? Hell yeah! :D

Here are a few pictures of the Tortoise Supply booth.

d2c5.jpg

p6sy.jpg

n0rq.jpg

gm5l.jpg

g6w4.jpg

n4t1.jpg

he0l.jpg

hwe9.jpg

am1j.jpg

jtbv.jpg

5bp8.jpg

xk19.jpg

If anyone has questions feel free to ask!

THANKS FOR LOOKING! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now I would buy a tortoise and supplies from that guy. Oh, I have bought supplies from that guy:D. I had the chance to go to a reptile show here in Illinois that Tyler and his wife were at. He didn't have as big of a display of course, but it was nice and the RF he had were of course housed and displayed nicely besides the best looking ones at the show. Okay, I might be a little partial seeing he's a member and all, but it's still the truth.:)
Glad you were able to help them out, enjoyed yourself and most of all to help educate the people on humid hides and proper housing. Hats off to you.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I bought a Russian and about $100 worth of bedding at the booth during the Super Expo thing in san Diego... oh and a t-shirt ;)

I bought a Russian and about $100 worth of bedding at the booth during the Super Expo thing in san Diego... oh and a t-shirt ;)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Well presented booth. Very nice indeed. And the babies, all safe in their nice cases, and allelulia, not on alfalfa pellets. Super nice. What a fun experience for you being you are such a tortoise person aka tortoise geek, LOL! We all are proud tortoise geeks. Whoo yaaa! : )

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks everyone! Barb, I couldn't agree more. This show was well populated, but they're aren't as many tortoise enthusiast here or even reptile enthusiast in general. From what it seemed like compared to California, Arizona or Florida. There were a lot of times I had to explain why some prices were higher, my explanation being, "what you see is being produce here and from our very own adult captive raised tortoises, with correct care. Many of the tortoises you see are sometimes wholesale bought or from other "backyard" breeders that sometimes don't quite care for them as we do. Of course, I can't verify for all of them, but I go for quality or quantity." :D I figured it would help to give them the basics of how humidity is a huge part of raising tortoises. :)
wellington said:
Now I would buy a tortoise and supplies from that guy. Oh, I have bought supplies from that guy:D. I had the chance to go to a reptile show here in Illinois that Tyler and his wife were at. He didn't have as big of a display of course, but it was nice and the RF he had were of course housed and displayed nicely besides the best looking ones at the show. Okay, I might be a little partial seeing he's a member and all, but it's still the truth.:)
Glad you were able to help them out, enjoyed yourself and most of all to help educate the people on humid hides and proper housing. Hats off to you.

Thank you! I set up the booth myself a long with a few tweaks from Tyler. You can say that again, I'm highly addicted! :p
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Well presented booth. Very nice indeed. And the babies, all safe in their nice cases, and allelulia, not on alfalfa pellets. Super nice. What a fun experience for you being you are such a tortoise person aka tortoise geek, LOL! We all are proud tortoise geeks. Whoo yaaa! : )

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Nice! Shows can be pretty intense and yep, it's not always what you expect... Glad you had fun, maybe I'll see you myself at one of the next ones! :)

-Jen

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
UGGGGHH! I drived by the expo everyday on my way to work :( I couldn't get one of those days off I wanted to go so bad! Those pictures make me even more sad.... haha. Thats awesome that you got to sell with Tyler congrats! Thank goodness that expo is twice a year!