My Greek Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi there !

I am new on the forum, and was recommended to come on here so someone could help me out with telling me what kind of Greek tortoise I have. I've had her for a few weeks now, her name is Tallula. She is the most awesome tort, so happy and adventurous, I am totally in love with her !Tallula_February_2009016.jpg2647_87741945760_529755760_2735537_4700021_n.jpg2647_87741975760_529755760_2735543_2467045_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stazz: Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your i.d. question, however I'm pretty sure those last two photos show creatures that are not in the Graeca family. :shy:

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
It looks like you have a Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp. The ssp stands for an undescribed subspecies, which the Jordanians aren't yet.
Look through the Greek section and if you have any specific questions about taking care of her please ask. :)

Maggie (United Arab Emirates) :D

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Lol thanks Yvonne, I did not even realise I put two wrong pictures on, SILLY ME !! And now it won't let me remove them haha

emysemys said:
Hi Stazz: Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your i.d. question, however I'm pretty sure those last two photos show creatures that are not in the Graeca family. :shy:

Yvonne

Jordanian wow !!!! Thanks a million Danny. Tallula was ID'd as a greek tortoise before, but someone who knows you, GBTortoises on repticzone, recommended I join this forum and find you specifically to help me ID her....thanks :)

Tallula is a wonderful tort, she is super adventurous and I've noticed she must have been an acrobat in her past life! LOL.:p
She climbs on top of her log and jumps off, she is such a character!

I will have a look around the forum, but if I have any questions I'll be in touch :)

egyptiandan said:
Hi,
It looks like you have a Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp. The ssp stands for an undescribed subspecies, which the Jordanians aren't yet.
Look through the Greek section and if you have any specific questions about taking care of her please ask. :)

Maggie (United Arab Emirates) :D

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I fixed the pictures :D

And you did find me :p Have fun looking around the forum and by all means if you have any questions just ask away. :)

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks very much Evan !
And thanks for the compliment on Tallula too :) She is an absolute character, I am TOTALLY in love with her, she makes me laugh daily :)

BigBiscuit said:
Welcome Stazz.

You have a great looking tort.

Evan

:D Thanks a mill for fixing the pics, lol, must have been a serious blonde moment ! nothing wrong with that, we all allowed to have those moments LOL

Well is there anything I need to know about Jordanian greeks?
I've been feeding her plant types.....I planted two petunia's in her enclosure that my fiance and I built for her...she demolished both plants HAHA, there are just two little skinny stems left. I feed her fennel, celery and rosemary....try to stay away from any kind of lettuce. We live in Dubai and it's so hard to find the correct plants etc here,being a desert and all hehe.

Any advice you can pass on would be greatly appreciated :)

egyptiandan said:
I fixed the pictures :D

And you did find me :p Have fun looking around the forum and by all means if you have any questions just ask away. :)

Danny

Hiya Kate

Thanks :) Hehe. She is cute indeed ! What greek tort have you got?

tortoisenerd said:
Hi there! Cute tort. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Lettuces are fine to feed as long as it's not iceburg lettuce. You can also feed escarole, curly endive, chicory, mustard greens, kale (in small amounts) and collard greens (in small amounts).
There are quite a few weeds also that you can feed. There should be lists and links in the diet and plant ID sections of the forum and yes the lists for Desert tortoises are just fine for your Greek. :D
Almost forgot butternut squash :p It's great to feed once a week as it's a natural wormer and has lots of vitamin A.

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks so much Danny :) Helps quite alot hehe. Is it okay that I have been feeding her fennel and celery? She seems to love it, she wolfs it down like a little piglet haha.Where could I find chicory, escarole, curly endive? Would I find them at the supermarket? And the butternut squash, is that just the normal butternut you buy in stores and I can just squash it? LOL, sorry for what seems like silly q's, I just don't want to give her the wrong thing! We are going to buy her UVB lamp and a basking lamp tonight, I just want to check with you how far away it should be from the ground of her enclosure, and what temperature should it be at, day and night?

egyptiandan said:
Lettuces are fine to feed as long as it's not iceburg lettuce. You can also feed escarole, curly endive, chicory, mustard greens, kale (in small amounts) and collard greens (in small amounts).
There are quite a few weeds also that you can feed. There should be lists and links in the diet and plant ID sections of the forum and yes the lists for Desert tortoises are just fine for your Greek. :D
Almost forgot butternut squash :p It's great to feed once a week as it's a natural wormer and has lots of vitamin A.

Danny

ncjsmith

5 Year Member
Hey Babe.

I see Tallula is a little celeb on this forum.
We need to get some pics of her house on the enclosure section. Show off our handy work.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ah yay ! Guys, ncjsmith is my man, Tallula's dadda :) Welcome love! I actually put a pic of her enclosure on the Greek geek section! :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Celery should be avoided as tortoise food. For one thing, it is VERY high in sodium.

Yvonne

Stazz

5 Year Member
Oh wow thanks a MILLION for that Yvonne! I will make sure it never sets foot in my fridge again :p Well, for Tallula....but mama can eat it :p

emysemys said:
Celery should be avoided as tortoise food. For one thing, it is VERY high in sodium.

Yvonne

Stazz

5 Year Member
Danny aged Tallula for me ! 8yrs old !! Awwww my little girl! hehe. STUPID pet shop guys, they said she was two! I ought to go back there and give them a thumping hehe.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Danny aged Tallula for me ! 8yrs old !! Awwww my little girl! hehe. STUPID pet shop guys, they said she was two! I ought to go back there and give them a thumping hehe.

The same thing happened to me Stace, I bought Hermy in a pet shop and they told me she was a girl and that she was 8 months old. Hermy is a little boy and he is 3-4 years old :D

Stazz

5 Year Member
Lol Isa - its crazy huh ! Wanna just go back there and "smack some sense" into the guys there haha. Yeah they told me Tallula was a 2yr old male, when in fact is a 8yr old female! I asked him what kind of tort she was and he said "a garden tortoise" !?!?!?! Crazy ppl!

Anyhoo, she is awesome, seems to be healthy and I am just soooo in love with her hehehe. So is ncjsmith, my fiance....he begged me for her hehe

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Lol Isa - its crazy huh ! Wanna just go back there and "smack some sense" into the guys there haha. Yeah they told me Tallula was a 2yr old male, when in fact is a 8yr old female! I asked him what kind of tort she was and he said "a garden tortoise" !?!?!?! Crazy ppl!

Anyhoo, she is awesome, seems to be healthy and I am just soooo in love with her hehehe. So is ncjsmith, my fiance....he begged me for her hehe

A garden tortoise??? O boy!. When I bought Hermy, he was in a medium size vivarium with 4 others tortoises, 2 Greeks and 2 Hermann's (all bigger than him). I am glad Tallula found a good home with parents who love her and take care of her :D

Status
Not open for further replies.