My Greek Tortoise is Sleepwalking?

lemonbrains

Location (City and/or State)
Neverland
Hi guys. So I have two Greeks about 6-7 months old (I think). Fred and Jemma. I rescued them.

Jemma, the more active one, sleepwalks all time. She'll have her eyes closed and be walking around, bumping into things or just lifting her neck very high and then down again. At first, I thought she couldn't open her eyes so I picked her up and she DID open her eyes. There wasn't any liquid/mucus in her eyes or anything. She can open her eyes whenever she wants.

But as soon as she falls asleep, either in her enclosure or in my hand, she'll life her head up high and start walking like she own the damn place lol. It looks pretty funny but I'm scared she'll bump into something hard and hurt her eye. Her walking strides are pretty powerful for a baby tortoise and she flips around 360 degrees in 10 seconds, takes a few steps forward, climbs on a tiny rock, and then stop moving. And then this behavior repeats. It occurs about 30% of the time she's sleeping - which isn't too bad.

Is this normal? Has anyone else's torts done this? Is she fighting with lions in her dreams? lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First and foremost, they should not live together. Pairs don't work. They will both be much better off with their own enclosures.

The most common causes of eye issues would be sand, dry dusty substrate, cfl bulbs, or sickness caused by malnutrition or incorrect temperatures. Any of these sound like a possibility?

lemonbrains

Neverland
First and foremost, they should not live together. Pairs don't work. They will both be much better off with their own enclosures.

The most common causes of eye issues would be sand, dry dusty substrate, cfl bulbs, or sickness caused by malnutrition or incorrect temperatures. Any of these sound like a possibility?

Nope. Don't think so. She's literally sleepwalking because i noticed she lifts her head up walks a bit and then goes off to sleep for hours. I don't think its an eye issue?