My Guys (mostly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
After seeing Kelly's crew all lined up, I came home to this. Jack (red foot) Louise (ornate) and The Russians(6 yrs and No offical names, isn't that awful??)Not shown is My new Leopard is still in quarenteen.I Love Em. (names or not!) Na

Attachments

• all torts.jpg
    all torts.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 75

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL That's cute! Mine have done the "line up" again, it's quite funny!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Hi Nay, Cute torts .
I hate to dog on you, but you shouldn't have the different species housed together.
A redfoot has different needs than a russian. RF's need high humidity.
There are also germ issues.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Iluvemturts said:
Hi Nay, Cute torts .
I hate to dog on you, but you shouldn't have the different species housed together.
A redfoot has different needs than a russian. RF's need high humidity.
There are also germ issues.

Ditto :) Each species can carry problems with them that another species may be susceptible to and not be able to fight it off. Not to mention each one has temp/humidity requirements that are different than another. Looks like its time to pick up more kiddy pools or build some new setups. :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, Yes I did have some concerns, but I seemed to end up doing the same thing for them. I do soak everyone pretty often. And Jack(the red foot) really seems smitten with the Louise(the ornate) he seems to always be close to her, but not ever have I seen him mount her. She gets fed seperately, all her worms and live stuff. Then goes and eats the veggies like crazy. The Russians were supposed to be hibernating, but with their activity level I haven't had the guts. I have a huge outside enclosure and I had them seperate for the first few years, but the Jack climbed over one day and I said what the heck. I am not sure what I would do different if I housed them different at this point. I use the pools and it seems they find what temp they like. Can I get ideas of what, besides parasites, would be trouble for them. I certainly could use tupperware, but since I have gotten so many negative fecals, I kinda thought they could be fine. But I will listen to the experts. What do you do different?Thanks Nay. \
Oh not does this mean my new Leopard shouldn't be allowed to play those reindeer games???

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I don't even know where to start. It's not just parasites that are a problem. It's protozoa and bacteria that are specific to each and every animal. These can cause way more problems then parasites.
For one you have no substrate to speak of. Russians love to dig and need a dry to semi-dry substrate. The Ornate needs a bit more humidity then the Russians. I have found with my Ornate box turtles, that they stress very easily in groups of more than 3 outside and any more than singlely inside.
The Redfoot needs very high humidity and should be on a deep damp substrate to do well in the long run. They like it warmer over all then the other 2.
No you shouldn't mix the Leopard tortoise with anyone else. They like it warm and dry.
You have 3 of the worsest offender for nasty pathogens, Russians, Redfoots and Leopards.
I have known to many people who have done what your doing, in the bad old days, and every last one of them had so many (if not all) of their animals die.
You are basicly playing russian roulette with your animals. To me it's just not worth playing.
I go so far as keeping most of my animals singlely while they are inside and with like species or subspecies when they go outside.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Ok, so the set up I have is good for the Leopard?(Dry tub, loads of hay and hide places?) Two lights on one heat and one bulb?
The Ornate, would she be good in a tupperare? to keep better humidity in. ?
I have bunch more pools, so I can let the Redfoot have one with loads of dirt, but spay it more frquently? Same thing for the Russians, just leave it dryer? I have tryed to be good about the temps and feeding, but since there outside most of the time, I guess It was pretty easy to lax on the inside home. Mostly every year my Russians find one end and I hardly see them. The Ornate was in an aquarium( prior to me) and I thought I was doing her a big favor by letting her have space. She is always so active, is that stress? I do have some great hides, but she never is in one.
Thanks for all input. I guess I needed a kick in the head!
Nadine

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hey, you know what tho? It's REALLY GREAT that you care enough about your babies to be willing to take advice from others on them!!! Way to go, and keep up the good work!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It all sounds good Nadine. :) The tupperware is just fine for the Ornate. It probably is stress with her being so active all the time.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
fun pictures and helpful information!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Nay , I am really impressed with your attitude when confronted on your torts care. More times than not people cannot (or will not) take corrective critisizim ......you are not only taking it but having a great attitude about it as well. This - to me speeks volumes about your character. I could just hug ya:p

Keep up the good work:)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
nice, but do the tortoises all live together?
if so they must be seperated.

Status
Not open for further replies.