My Hatchling enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Just thought i would show some pics of the indoor enclosure i made for my new baby. I know it was helpful to me being able to see what others have made and used for their little guys homes, so i'm sharing mine. (it's 4ft long 2ft wide and 2 ft tall)( cost under $50) and i have since removed the coil light.

Attachments

• tourtoise.jpg
    tourtoise.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 86
  • tourtoise1.jpg
    tourtoise1.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 70

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's cool. Still needs a water dish. I like the terra cotta plant saucers sunken down level with the soil. Your bulbs need to point straight down, and let me tell you, do NOT rely on those clamps to hold your lights in place. They will eventually fail and pose a serious fire hazard or burn risk. Last tip, I see your stick-on thermometer, but you still need a thermometer with a remote probe and a temp gun. You need to know temps all over your enclosure not just in that one spot on the wall.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Tom said:
That's cool. Still needs a water dish. I like the terra cotta plant saucers sunken down level with the soil. Your bulbs need to point straight down, and let me tell you, do NOT rely on those clamps to hold your lights in place. They will eventually fail and pose a serious fire hazard or burn risk. Last tip, I see your stick-on thermometer, but you still need a thermometer with a remote probe and a temp gun. You need to know temps all over your enclosure not just in that one spot on the wall.

Oh okay, yeah I was just moving that one around the enclosure. I haven't heard about a temp gun or probe. Thank you for your help!

-Kristen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you don't have one already, you should also have a humidity gauge of some sort. Not sure how old your sulcata is. However, needs high humidity to aid it smooth growth. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help a lot on the raising of a smooth, healthy, happy sulcata.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'm not sure but is your UVB a coil bulb?

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
tyguy35 said:
I'm not sure but is your UVB a coil bulb?

I have a MVB in now. I didn't know that coil bulbs were damaging to their eyes.

wellington said:
If you don't have one already, you should also have a humidity gauge of some sort. Not sure how old your sulcata is. However, needs high humidity to aid it smooth growth. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help a lot on the raising of a smooth, healthy, happy sulcata.

Yeah, I do have one. The humidity is 80%, would you say that is okay for him? He is 2 months old.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I bought a clamp (blue thing in picture) from Home Depot that I use to ensure my lights are secure.

IMAG0759.jpg

You can see I also looped the cord around the lamp stand as an extra precaution.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
ChiKat said:
I bought a clamp (blue thing in picture) from Home Depot that I use to ensure my lights are secure.

IMAG0759.jpg

You can see I also looped the cord around the lamp stand as an extra precaution.

That's a good idea! Yeah, I find myself whenever out the house worrying to get home to my little baby! lol Thank you!
-Kristen

Status
Not open for further replies.