doing research i dont have a clean
answer to this problem i dont want to stay
with my arms crossed ..THANK YOU EVERYONE

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Give your baby a good varied diet, as much sunshine as possible, but don't let him/her over heat and keep him/her hydrated. Soak at least once a day If very little or 2-3 times a week for about 3 weeks if larger. Then you can cut that back to 1-2 times a week. Have water available 24/7. A pictures would help us too.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum, elpatron_jrz.

I'm so sorry your little tort is sick. What kind of tortoise is it? How big is it, and how do you know it has MBD?

elpatron_jrz

5 Year Member
Hey i dint know this existed lol thanks for helping guys ...I know its MBD becuz his shell feels soft i dont want him to die ive been doing research and its fatal :-( ...he or she is about an inch or so its small ..and i have another one just like the sick one and he is super active and had good appetite

Sent from my LG-MS695 using TortForum mobile app

What is the best beading and things to have them in?? I herd rabit pallets arent good for them is that true?? I read things online and ppl say this is good and thats bad and other ppl say the opposite so idk ...thank you

Sorry its a sulcata

elpatron_jrz

5 Year Member
How can i make my babies eat mazuri??they wont even sniff it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The first thing you need to get sorted is the lighting. What are you using? Does your tort get outside?

Your tort's MBD is caused by low levels of Calcium. This is caused by poor diet and/or low levels of UVB light.

A tort needs UVB light, either from the sun outside or a lamp inside, to help it process the calcium it needs for healthy bones and shell.

For a keeper this means that you must ensure your tort gets outside for a few hours daily, or that you buy and use the right kind of lamp to provide artificial UVB.

You can buy a UVB tube fitting to use above an indoor enclosure. Put it on a timer so that it is on for 12 hours every day. The tube must be replaced roughly every 6 months as it starts to give out less UVB over time. If you use a tube UVB you must have a seoarate basking lamp as well.

The alternative is an MVB lamp, which doubles up as a basking lamp, which you can use on a timer this will last 9-12 months before needing replacement.

There is a third type of UVB bulb - a compact or coil bulb - these are widely available, but are not recommended as they cause eye damage in tortoises.

Your tort also needs heat. You need to accurately measure the 4 important temperatures: Under the basking lamp, warm end, cool end and overnight minimum. If the temperatures are wrong, your tort won't have the energy to eat or to digest food. Tell us what these temperatures are.

While your tort is so sick, it is essential that it is soaked for 30 minutes in warm water twice a day to ensure it doesn't get dehydrated. If eating is a problem, carrot puree babyfood can be added to the soaking water and a few drops of liquid bird vitamins and these will help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is all sorts of info for sulcata babies in my signature. What you need to know is in there.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
elpatron_jrz said:
CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME?
i pretty much know what my baby has
he has MBD i bought him like this :((
i just want to know
is there anything i can help him with
like med or vitamins changing his
diet offering him any type
of supplement im having a hard
time helping my baby I ive been
doing research i dont have a clean
answer to this problem i dont want to stay
with my arms crossed ..THANK YOU EVERYONE

Firstly, what makes you think it is actually mbd? Do you have pics of your tortoise and enclosure? What are your four temps? ( basking , ambient, cool, warm side) humidity? Is it housed with other tortoises?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you also need to separate them. the sick one needs to be alone so he doesn't have to compete for food. You can get liquid calcium as well. put in soak. but all the calcium in the world, wont help if not sunshine.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Not too long ago there was a member who self diagnosed his tortoise as having mbd, but in reality it was just a stressed tortoise who was kept with a second sulcata. I'm not sure whether his tortoise made it or not but the vet actually did more harm than good. Set them up separately and they will both thrive if they're on proper habitats with proper diet and temps.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

elpatron_jrz

5 Year Member
She/he looks pale wont open eyes i soak him and take him outside and nothinh she wont eat :(

Attachments

• 1370464461833.jpg
    1370464461833.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 71
  • 1370464484478.jpg
    1370464484478.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 66
  • 1370464613075.jpg
    1370464613075.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 68

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
That little sully is not looking too good. Many in that condition do not survive. :(

Read this caresheet, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63788.html, paying particular attention to the heat/UV section. The temps need to be accurate. Follow it to a T. This is critical to the success of your hatchling.

As suggested in the posts above, try the baby food soaks to get some calories into the animal. At that size, not eating will make their condition much worse and the baby food soaks will get some nourishment in them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping for the best. Follow the caresheet, keep it warm, and do the soaks and that baby might have a chance. Please keep us posted on its progress.

elpatron_jrz

5 Year Member
Thank u guys for all your help I appreciate it good info I will keep in mind and pass on to whom need it thanks again

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
How is baby doing? Everyone gave u EXCELLENT info... I bought Fluker's liquid calcium and liquid multi-vitamins... I put it in his soaking water when he was very little (he was only about a week old) because I was afraid he wasn't getting enough vitamins... He never showed any signs of vitamin deficiency but I didn't want to take a chance since he wa so young... Also, the baby food carrot soaks r highly recommended... Hope baby is getting better w/all the great advice u have been given...

Here's a pic of the liquid calcium... I still use it because he refuses to eat his food w/the powdered stuff on itImageUploadedByTortForum1370643779.794651.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.