My heating dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I have tried several different bulbs but none seem to work properly. My Hermann's tortoise is in a 40 gallon breeder. I am trying to set up a warm spot and a cool spot using a basking bulb on one side of the tank. It keeps the warm side in the mid to low 80s and the cool side is room temp at around 75. The basking spot is what I've been having trouble with.

I have tried a regular 75 watt bulb, it got the basking spot to just barely 90 degrees. Then I tried a 100 watt basking bulb (the ones that are shaped for more direct light and better reflection), and it got the basking spot to 110 degrees, and caused the whole warm side of the tank to be around 90 degrees.

Would I have better luck with a regular 100 watt bulb, or a 75 watt basking bulb?

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like you just need to try adjusting the height of the basking bulb

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
try adjusting the height of the basking bulb

Good suggestion.....see what happens...but keep in mind, if you are using an all in one bulb (heat/uvrays) you will want to only adjust the height within the parameters of the manufacturer suggested boundaries....

However, if you are simply trying to achieve a basking heat spot (and you have uva/uvb covered otherwise) then up and down height adjustements will be good....also, a "shiny" dome inside will intensify the heat and directness of it will depend on the bulb and the size of the dome...the painted domes run significantly "cooler" compared to the "shiny" ones.... :D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Raise and lower the lamp like the other members suggested worked for me haha goodluck

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a lizard in a 40 gallon breeder. I have a 100 watt regular (not spot) incandescent on his cage and his basking temp gets to between 100 and 105. I have the bulb connected to a rheostat so I can turn it down or up as needed. My lizard has no certain humidity requirements so his enclosure is kept dry compared to our tortoise enclosures. Therefore, his basking spot would get a tad hotter. It sounds to me like if you use that 100 watt you had but hook it up to a rheostat you could just turn it down or up as needed. I always find that easier than finding a way to raise and lower a bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.