My herman won't wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo476

5 Year Member
Hi,

My 5 year old herman tortoise won't wake himself up. He goes days sleeping until i wake him. When he's awaew he will eat and empty his bowls, but he needs me to wake him in order to do this. I have been bathing him daily to hydrate him but nothing seems to work. He also does not like heat, when ever i put him under his lamp he prefers to go to the colder side of his table.
We have had him for 3 years and nothing about his environment has changed. He has the correct set up with his lamp etc. The only thing we did differently around christmas time was hibernate him. When he came out he was perfectly fine, he has only started to sleep so much in the last few months.
I have taken him to the vets and he is currently having a course of anti-biotics but this doesn't seem to be helping.
When he is awake he is acting normally, but he quickly goes back to sleep.
Any advice would be appreciated, as the vets next suggestion is a bloody test as i don't think she knows what's up with him.
Could it be hibernation??
Thank you in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi jo476:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

No, there's something wrong. This doesn't sound normal to me. I'm thinking its something wrong with his habitat. Do you check the temperature on the floor of the habitat all over the habitat? If its cold in there, he's going to think its time to think about hibernating. But if he eats when you bring him out, then hibernation isn't the issue.

It would help us to know a bit more about your tortoise-care. Its no good just telling us the lighting and heat is correct, we have to know what it is. Maybe some pictures would help us to help you.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Yes, please give more details of enclosure so you can get the appropriate help. Good luck, hope all is okay.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. :)

Pictures of your tortoise and its enclosure would be helpful :)

There are 4 key temperatures that will help us too...
1. Under the basking lamp
2. Warm end
3. Cool end
4. Overnight minimum

Does your tort have UV light?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D may we see a pic of your torts face and from the side as well in addition to what the others have asked? Please.

Hope2hope

5 Year Member
jo476 said:
Hi,

My 5 year old herman tortoise won't wake himself up. He goes days sleeping until i wake him. When he's awaew he will eat and empty his bowls, but he needs me to wake him in order to do this. I have been bathing him daily to hydrate him but nothing seems to work. He also does not like heat, when ever i put him under his lamp he prefers to go to the colder side of his table.
We have had him for 3 years and nothing about his environment has changed. He has the correct set up with his lamp etc. The only thing we did differently around christmas time was hibernate him. When he came out he was perfectly fine, he has only started to sleep so much in the last few months.
I have taken him to the vets and he is currently having a course of anti-biotics but this doesn't seem to be helping.
When he is awake he is acting normally, but he quickly goes back to sleep.
Any advice would be appreciated, as the vets next suggestion is a bloody test as i don't think she knows what's up with him.
Could it be hibernation??
Thank you in advance.

Hi Joe,
Hm, there does sound like he may be wanting to go into hibernation. Leave him sleeping and see how long he will sleep for. If he sleeps for more than a week then yes he will be going into hibernation. Go to the vets if you are very concerned. Hope this helps:)

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Hope2hope said:
Hi Joe,
Hm, there does sound like he may be wanting to go into hibernation. Leave him sleeping and see how long he will sleep for. If he sleeps for more than a week then yes he will be going into hibernation. Go to the vets if you are very concerned. Hope this helps:)

Hope, the tortoises DO NOT HIBERNATE in May!!
As already said, enclosure problems or health issues.

Joe, can you try an outdoor enclosure for that guy?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not intend to speak out of place here....but I must say that your tort should not be brumating at this time of year...so please do not let him alone for a week to see what happens...please do not.

What are the temps in your enclosure? What is the basking spot temp...the middle temp and your coolest temp....and a healthy Herms should seek out the hot spot to raise his core temp and then move back and forth to the cooler side to regulate...if he is staying in the coolest side I would venture to guess that when your basking light is on it is simply too hot...so he moves away...again, that is a guess...another issue may simply be he is ailing and a tort that is ill willing not behave in a healthy fashion....please give us info so we can further offer help....:D

jo476

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Thank you for your responses but i am sad to say that Isaac passed away today. He went to the vets for a blood test and feeding tube. He had a sedative and never woke up again. I am absolutely devastated.
We still don't know what was wrong with him and probably never will.
Regards
Jo x (UK)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Condolenses on the loss of your tortoise...it's never easy to lose a beloved pet. :(

Having a pet tortoise hibernate is ALWAYS risky, which is why a great many tortoise keepers don't do so (I've kept tortoises for almost 38 years and have never hibernated/brumated one...my 1st tortoise was a legacy from my grandfather, and she'd been his pet since the mid-40s and had never been forced to hibernate/brumate...I got her in '74 and she lived with me for another 19 years).

There's really no good reason to hibernate/brumate a pet tortoise and lots of reasons to not. By allowing them to remain active throughout the winter, you can catch an illness much quicker and (often) save them.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
Welcome. And I am sorry to here that you tort died. Sedative is risky like that, but you tried what you had to. I hope he rests in peace.
:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.