My hermann tortoise sleeps to much..

Alicia&Crush

Location (City and/or State)
Grandview, wa
Hello we're new to the group and I've had my tortoise Crush for 1yr already. Not sure how old he is was never given that type of info, But lately my tortoise has been sleeping to much, we recently moved in June and our home which has central air we've never had before, so long story short. He hardly has been eating and is always hibernating, he has his uv lamp on. His done this of course before for a few days but this time its been longer.. Any advice on what may be wrong..
This is his in closure.. He is away from the air vents.

1501814318007-280195454.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The cedar chips need to go, they are not good for most any animal, can be toxic. If you have not added any additional heat since you now have a/c it's probably too cold. If this is an adult, the aquarium is too small for anything over a hatchling to maybe a year. Please read the caresheet under the Hermanns section and make lots of adjustments.

Alicia&Crush

Grandview, wa
Really the pet store said he would fine and he actuallly likes to dig under them. But i can remove and make adjustments. Thank u

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Really the pet store said he would fine and he actuallly likes to dig under them. But i can remove and make adjustments. Thank u

Pet stores just want to sell stuff. Cedar is NOT a good substrate. Yes, he digs down into it, but not because he likes the cedar. He digs because that's what they do. He'll dig down into anything you put in there. And the cedar might be why you're noticing a problem with the tortoise. Any wood with aromatic oil is toxic once you add a light above it to heat it up.