My Hermanns tortoise constantly sleeping

Erinx

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I have a 3 almost 4 year old Hermanns tortoise. For the past few months he has been sleeping constantly. The only time he becomes alert is when I physically wake him up and soak him and then he will bask for maybe 10 mins eat a tiny amount of food and go straight back into the part of his enclosure where he sleeps. I took him to the vet a few months back as this was happening and he perked up for maybe a couple weeks then was straight back to how he was before. I give calcium powder on his food. I have checked temps and they’re all fine, he has a uvb bulb and heat lamp. I was possibly wondering if he’s maybe trying to hibernate, not sure how that all works to be honest but it’s the only possibility I can think of as I have tried everything. He used to be very active and was constantly out and coming over to you and was a great eater but he has barely eating anything for a while now and I’m getting worried again. Going to take him back to the vet soon but just looking for advice in the meantime. Thanks.

jso

Location (City and/or State)
55*N, UK
Re hibernation, you say you’re not sure how all that works. Well, my understanding is that tortoises that would probably naturally hibernate in their home ranges do so when they respond to falling light levels, a drop in temperature, and probably a consequent decline in their natural food sources.
Some would argue that there’s an innate “desire” to hibernate at a certain time of year, others say that these external conditions need to apply, in which case the tortoise has no choice in the matterwhen these conditions occur. (Ie Do they have an internal body clock as well as being very responsive to external conditions, or are they merely dictated to by those conditions?)
In captivity, therefore, if hibernation is to be prevented (or fought against, if you go with the body clock theory) it’s important that heat, light and food supplies are maintained at optimal (ie Mediterranean summer) levels.
You say temperatures are fine, but may I ask what they are? What are the ambient temperatures in the room where the enclosure is situated? And the temperature gradient in the enclosure? And if the temps are ok, maybe the light levels aren’t? (Although usually they’re the same source?)
I ask because I’ve had similar problems with my Hermanns hatchlings in the past, and I realised that the basking light heat just wasn’t reaching the corners of the enclosure. Warming the room up by just a few degrees solved the problem.

And, out of curiosity, what did the vet do that gave that temporary improvement?

(I’m in the north of the UK, not far from the Scottish border)