My Hermann's Tortoise Won't Stop Biting Feet/Shoes!

MunchIsMyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
You don't need heat lamps outside. Keep him inside when outdoor temps are too cool or too hot. If someday you want to build a big enclosure hand make a heated night box, you won't need heat lamps anyway. For now, you can just move him in and out as needed.

Birds are not a problem for any tortoise over 4-5 inches here. If you are worried, you can make a cover like in those threads I linked for you. I live out in the country up near Magic Mountain and we have vultures, ravens, crows, and several hawk species. No problems.

Do you suggest having him sleep inside at night and stay outside during the day, so that I don't have to put lights outside? If he were to permanently be outside, even at night, shouldn't he have a lamp??

daniellenc

Maryland
Do you suggest having him sleep inside at night and stay outside during the day, so that I don't have to put lights outside? If he were to permanently be outside, even at night, shouldn't he have a lamp??
He’d need a night box which is a heated outdoor box you lock up at night.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Why would he need lamps at night? He should be sleeping, not basking. ;)
Hermanns don't really need a specific night temperature, anything above 50 is no problem at all. You could put a cold frame in the enclosure where he can warm up on chilly days (and also stay a little warmer at night).

MunchIsMyTortoise

Los Angeles
I think if it is cold I can take him inside in his not so good cage, which does have a heat lamp. I'm just glad I don't have to scour the yard for electrical sockets anymore

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Testudo species do not need night heat as long as temps are staying about around 60 and warming up the next day. No lamps at night. If the day comes when you want him to live outside full time, you can build an insulated night box and you can set a thermostat in it for 60, so the temp doesn't drop too low in spring or fall. You can try a heat lamp during the day in winter, if you aren't going to hibernate him.

Indoors at night and during colder weather, and outdoors during nice weather is how I like to do it, but you are going to need to make the indoor enclosure much larger.

MunchIsMyTortoise

Los Angeles
Testudo species do not need night heat as long as temps are staying about around 60 and warming up the next day. No lamps at night. If the day comes when you want him to live outside full time, you can build an insulated night box and you can set a thermostat in it for 60, so the temp doesn't drop too low in spring or fall. You can try a heat lamp during the day in winter, if you aren't going to hibernate him.

Indoors at night and during colder weather, and outdoors during nice weather is how I like to do it, but you are going to need to make the indoor enclosure much larger.

How would you build such a box? Also if for now during the day he is outside in a large enclosure, could I either leave him since it's summer or put him in the smaller indoor cage just to sleep?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How would you build such a box? Also if for now during the day he is outside in a large enclosure, could I either leave him since it's summer or put him in the smaller indoor cage just to sleep?
Make the indoor enclosure as large as it should be for nights and cold days, and use the outdoor enclosure during fair weather. You need both.

MunchIsMyTortoise

Los Angeles
yzdvs.jpg

This is his current indoor enclosure - yes it is quite small I am aware. Also I looked on the Hermann's care sheet and they say it's okay to use timothy hay for them to burrow in :)
He seems content with using the bowls I have, but I'm going to switch to slabs and a terracotta pot for water.

Since I'm in LA, I believe he would rarely be in this, except maybe when we have the odd cold spell. I am also going to try and move him outside permanently, because I don't have room to expand his cage at this moment.

LMK - but yes I know it's too small don't worry *don't hurt me*

Here's a picture of him eating because it's cute
gvmdg.jpg
EDIT: He doesn't spend all day here; we currently watch him outside (we follow him closely)

daniellenc

Maryland
Adorable but peppers are a no no. Too high in sugars! And what are those pellets?

daniellenc

Maryland
Leafy greens and weeds should be their main diet. No fruit at all ever. If you read the caresheets there are all sorts of suitable food ideas or check out the thread here called the tortoise chef.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What should I substitute for the peppers? And the pellets are from Zoo Med
Rather looks like the stuff from Rep-Cal? I don't even want to take a look at the ingedrients. :confused:
Weeds and calcium is a sufficient diet for Hermanns, especially if he'll be kept outside where he can find bugs and slugs. :p

Sue Andreski

Holiday, FL
Thank you Yvonne G. for answering the original question. I have a sulcata with the same issue. It’s difficult when there is a 120 ft area to maintain with a tortoise dogging my every step trying to see if my toes fight back. I have had to instruct my pet sitter to not enter the enclosure no matter what.

katie1985

Oldham
Oh I think you misunderstood, he has a sizeable indoor enclosure where he sleeps and eats, and sometimes lounges if the weather is cold. He "bangs" on this when he wants out and since we live in California it is usually very sunny and warm even inside, he sunbathes and everyone here is very cautious not to step on him, also he can get snacks we give him. I don't want to cage him up for the rest of his probably very long life. It's unconditional sure, but it works for my lifestyle and he is safe. Building an outdoor enclosure might not be possible right now for him. His cage is three feet long, and 1.5 feet wide and of course has walls that are also 1.5 tall

katie1985

Oldham

My tortoise Marlon roams downstairs, he also has a suitable living area...etc. He even puts himself to bed when his light goes off.

He chases the dog and the dog plays. It’s so funny to watch and completely harmless but I know what you mean when they come to bite your feet. I wouldn’t know what to do either [emoji85] xx

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My tortoise Marlon roams downstairs, he also has a suitable living area...etc. He even puts himself to bed when his light goes off.

He chases the dog and the dog plays. It’s so funny to watch and completely harmless but I know what you mean when they come to bite your feet. I wouldn’t know what to do either [emoji85] xx

That’s not completely harmless at all. Your tortoise isn’t chasing your dog because it wants to “play”, or it “loves” your dog, it’s chasing it because the dog stresses it, and it’s trying to get it out of its territory, that is not cute and affectionate, it’s an act of dominance.

Your tortoise SHOULD NOT be anywhere near your dog, or ever on your floor. It needs an 8x4 foot enclosure that it can stay in at all times. What you’re doing is extremely dangerous, and very harmful to your tortoise. Please take the advice that this thread is conveying.