My Hermann's Tortoise Won't Stop Biting Feet/Shoes!

katie1985

Location (City and/or State)
Oldham
That’s not completely harmless at all. Your tortoise isn’t chasing your dog because it wants to “play”, or it “loves” your dog, it’s chasing it because the dog stresses it, and it’s trying to get it out of its territory, that is not cute and affectionate, it’s an act of dominance.

Your tortoise SHOULD NOT be anywhere near your dog, or ever on your floor. It needs an 8x4 foot enclosure that it can stay in at all times. What you’re doing is extremely dangerous, and very harmful to your tortoise. Please take the advice that this thread is conveying.

Wow! I’m new to this site and I don’t appreciate the response, I understand the point your making but I don’t appreciate the capital letters or the way your talking down to me.

The dog isn’t left alone with Marlon and it’s very rare that anything happens between them.

All I want is some advice not telling off like I’m a child

daniellenc

Maryland
Wow! I’m new to this site and I don’t appreciate the response, I understand the point your making but I don’t appreciate the capital letters or the way your talking down to me.

The dog isn’t left alone with Marlon and it’s very rare that anything happens between them.

I think what is being conveyed is the actual danger and more importantly stress your tortoise feels in the presence of your dog. Tortoises are a solitary territorial species and prefer to be left alone in a habitat that is their's without intruders. You may be misunderstanding signs of stress as chasing and playing, but that is not the case. Your tortoise is saying leave now I feel threatened and not playing at all. Not to mention it takes a split second for your dog to grab him playfully and cause deadly damage in mere seconds with you standing right there. A better option is creating an enclosed outdoor space for roaming or even a suitable indoor space that is sectioned off from your dog and other animals. This is the only way to prevent your tortoise from chasing and nipping your dog unfortunately. Tortoises also don't like habitat changes and are very fond of the space they call home staying the same hence their territorial nature.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I honestly didn't see anything in @TechnoCheese post that was even close to telling you off or speaking to you like a child? The only thing that was capitalized was to emphasize your tortoise shouldn't be around your dog. There's to many stories about dogs hurting torts that it needs to be pointed out, that's all. We would hate to see you posting something like that. You say you just want advice that's exactly what was being offered. If your doing something wrong people aren't going to sugar coat things just to tell you what you want to hear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Here is my advice:
  1. Tortoises need large properly designed enclosures. They should never be running loose on the floor of a human dwelling or yard. This is a recipe for disaster and it frequently ends in one.
  2. Dogs and tortoises should not occupy the same spaces. They should never be allowed contact. Again, this results in harm to the tortoise time and time again, and each time it happens, the person was sure their dog would never do such a thing.
No one intentionally endangers their tortoise, but many people do so without realizing what could go wrong. Working with many tortoise vets, and making my own mistakes for decades has shown me what can go wrong and what to avoid. I try to help others understand these things before it is too late.