My hobby

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Very serene looking pics. My hobby has been music for as long as I can remember. It's always been my getaway from life's rigors. I stick mainly to guitar anymore, but I still dabble with symphonic compositions when I have time to concentrate, which is extremely rare anymore.

drew54

Indiana
I had a pretty rough childhood in a pretty rough neighborhood in the middle of the city. Pursuing hobbies and occupying my mind and my time with things outside of my immediate living environment became a coping mechanism for me, and all these things are just FUN!!!

I don't hold my tarantulas. I just feed them and enjoy watching them grow and develop. Many tarantula keepers got into it to get over their fear of spiders. If ever you want to do it, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction, or go to Josh's other forum here: https://tarantulaforum.com Very supportive and friendly group.

I've always been drawn to animals. Many theories as to why, but in the end, I just like them. I find them fascinating, enthralling, and engaging. Understanding their behavior and interacting with them gives me entertainment, enjoyment and a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment like nothing else. Currently I have 4 Ackie monitor lizards and two unicolor cribo snakes. I've been keeping roaches since the early 90s. Got my first box turtle at age 7 in the 70's and my first sulcata as a teenager in the early 90s when the first CB babies started becoming available to the public. Through high school and college I worked in pet stores, focusing mainly on the fish and reptiles, but also parrots, dogs and small animals.

As far as diving, I've always been fascinated by the ocean and its inhabitants. I originally planned to be a marine biologist. That seemed to be a fun lifestyle, but not such a good way to pay the bills. I don't dive as much as I used to, but now my daughter is getting into it, so there will be more in my future.
It seems to me that you found the best way to cope with a bad situation. I'm very glad that you got into the world of reptiles among other animals. You have been a great asset to many. It's interesting how things turn out.

I would love to get over my fear of spiders. I will definitely check out that link.

You really do have your hands full! Wow! whats it like to have 4 monitors? It seems that you have found your way around your interests and passions very well. I can see from a lot of your old posts and research that all your experiences and interests have served you well.

drew54

Indiana
Very serene looking pics. My hobby has been music for as long as I can remember. It's always been my getaway from life's rigors. I stick mainly to guitar anymore, but I still dabble with symphonic compositions when I have time to concentrate, which is extremely rare anymore.
I tried learning guitar, but I would just get really frustrated with myself and I gave up. I wish i would have stuck with it. I like to think i would be good at it. Do you play in a band or anything?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I tried learning guitar, but I would just get really frustrated with myself and I gave up. I wish i would have stuck with it. I like to think i would be good at it. Do you play in a band or anything?
I used to play in several bands. I still fill in when needed on occasion, but that's very seldom anymore. Music is great therapy, and guitar playing helps with my arthritis.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Aside from my extreme love of tortoises, my passions also include being creative with my hands. I like to fix things and build things, whether it's updating my house, or building tortoise tables and enclosures...

Here are some photos of some past and present projects:

A Les Paul style guitar that I built from scratch using blueprints. That lizard was carved into the wood and then burned. I also play guitar.

Tearing out part of a wall inside my home.

I made a "raptor" grille for my truck.

I do my own brick work for outdoor tortoise enclosures.

Made a brick tower mailbox for my parents as a Christmas gift last year.

I'm also into firearms and have an 1881 "Coach Gun" that I'm working on restoring. I've been told I shoot like Annie Oakley and one of my nicknames is "Rambo Barbie."

I enjoy hiking and did the Grand Canyon "Rim to Rim" a couple years ago.

Also love to travel. Been to Ireland (photo of me at Cliffs of Moher) and Scotland in the last two years. Next up are Portugal and Spain.FB_IMG_1539737014822.jpegFB_IMG_1539737169882.jpegFB_IMG_1539737325216.jpegFB_IMG_1539737511678.jpegFB_IMG_1539737545939.jpegFB_IMG_1539737680143.jpegFB_IMG_1539738496479.jpegFB_IMG_1539738469855.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Aside from my extreme love of tortoises, my passions also include being creative with my hands. I like to fix things and build things, whether it's updating my house, or building tortoise tables and enclosures...

A Les Paul style guitar that I built from scratch using blueprints. That lizard was carved into the wood and then burned. I also play guitar.

I'm also into firearms and have an 1881 "Coach Gun" that I'm working on restoring. I've been told I shoot like Annie Oakley and one of my nicknames is "Rambo Barbie."

Also love to travel. Been to Ireland (photo of me at Cliffs of Moher) and Scotland in the last two years. Next up are Portugal and Spain.View attachment 254345View attachment 254346View attachment 254347View attachment 254348View attachment 254349View attachment 254350View attachment 254353View attachment 254354
My wife thinks I enjoy projects. She had me remodel the master bath 2 weeks ago, paint every room last weekend, and put down new flooring throughout starting this weekend. Her love of watching me "enjoy myself" has set me back nearly 10k in less than a month. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to play in several bands. I still fill in when needed on occasion, but that's very seldom anymore. Music is great therapy, and guitar playing helps with my arthritis.
There are two things I hope to accomplish before I die. One is learning to weld properly and the other is guitar. Bass guitar. I played a little in high school, but quickly got distracted by other things. There are some Cure songs with heavy bass guitar that I want to learn to play. Maybe someday... For now I'm busy raising a great kid, taking care of a lot of animals, killing bunnies with raptors, and oh yeah... having a career.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
There are two things I hope to accomplish before I die. One is learning to weld properly and the other is guitar. Bass guitar. I played a little in high school, but quickly got distracted by other things. There are some Cure songs with heavy bass guitar that I want to learn to play. Maybe someday... For now I'm busy raising a great kid, taking care of a lot of animals, killing bunnies with raptors, and oh yeah... having a career.
Kids and career. Yep. Both of mine are grown now, but my career is going full force. I think i have enough interests/hobbies to sustain me during retirement. Thats at least 20 years away though.The Cure, huh? Awesome bass lines.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kids and career. Yep. Both of mine are grown now, but my career is going full force. I think i have enough interests/hobbies to sustain me during retirement. Thats at least 20 years away though.The Cure, huh? Awesome bass lines.
In 8 more years I'll have 30 qualified years with my union and I can retire with full benefits. Problem is that I'll be way too young to collect those benefits. I'll have to find something to do in the interim 10-15 years. TORTOISE FARMING!!! And guitar lessons and welding school and lot and lots of falconry. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In 8 more years I'll have 30 qualified years with my union and I can retire with full benefits. Problem is that I'll be way too young to collect those benefits. I'll have to find something to do in the interim 10-15 years. TORTOISE FARMING!!! And guitar lessons and welding school and lot and lots of falconry. :)
Or just staying on in a great job!

drew54

Indiana

I'm glad you still play. What style do you mostly play?

drew54

Indiana

Also love to travel. Been to Ireland (photo of me at Cliffs of Moher) and Scotland in the last two years. Next up are Portugal and Spain.View attachment 254345View attachment 254346View attachment 254347View attachment 254348View attachment 254349View attachment 254350View attachment 254353View attachment 254354

Oh wow! You are very talented! I would love to be able to go to Scotland and Ireland in the next few years. I did here it rains there a lot in Scotland. That is a lovely guitar and a very nice grill. Within the next few weeks im about to get my first hand experience with building an enclosure. I'm completely clueless. Lol I think if you shoot like Oakley then that's very impressive and you restoring old rifles is just very cool. I loved hiking the grand canyon. It was line another world.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My wife thinks I enjoy projects. She had me remodel the master bath 2 weeks ago, paint every room last weekend, and put down new flooring throughout starting this weekend. Her love of watching me "enjoy myself" has set me back nearly 10k in less than a month. Lol

Lmao!!! That’s what real love is all about [emoji6]

drew54

Indiana

How old is your child? With all that you do i still don't see how you have time for anything extra lol I barely have time left on the weekends too do anything.

drew54

Indiana

Man where do you learn Falconry? That's something I've wanted to learn since I was a tiny human. The falcon is also my favorite bird and I have a falcon portrait tattoo. I have to tell you that your retirement plans are the greatest plans ever!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old is your child? With all that you do i still don't see how you have time for anything extra lol I barely have time left on the weekends too do anything.
She's almost 12 now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man where do you learn Falconry? That's something I've wanted to learn since I was a tiny human. The falcon is also my favorite bird and I have a falcon portrait tattoo. I have to tell you that your retirement plans are the greatest plans ever!
You have to do a two year apprenticeship with a sponsor that is a Master Falconer or 3rd year general falconer, take a test, get an inspection of your facilities and pay a bunch of money for permits fees and licensing. Then the real work begins.

Its a lot of work, but very rewarding.

drew54

Indiana
You have to do a two year apprenticeship with a sponsor that is a Master Falconer or 3rd year general falconer, take a test, get an inspection of your facilities and pay a bunch of money for permits fees and licensing. Then the real work begins.

Its a lot of work, but very rewarding.
Between my wife and I we both have 3 kids each, 4 cats, Great Dane pup, and now a tortoise. 3-14 yrs is the age range of the kids. I still don't have as many responsibilities (kids and animals) as you. Well the Great Dane is equal to at least 30 torts and 6 kids lol I love parenting though and all my humans and animals.

If I ever move out west or someplace more pleasant than Indiana I'll definitely look into selling my kids to cover the cost of learning Falconry. I'm kidding, but seriously.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Same here. I just retired after 36 years at the Broward County School Board....At 54.
Now what?
In my case....It was a part time job at Lowes.
I liked the idea of retiring. But so far, I'm not enjoying retirement.
Good luck.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My primary hobby is still collecting and working on old motorcycles. Mostly Kawasakis.
I no longer race. I'm too old and sore now. But I still own a 209 H.P. streetbike.(just in case)
I also enjoy working on projects in the home. And that's handy because something always needs doing.
My animals and wife occupy the rest of my time.
I'd like to fish more. I'd like to ride more. But I seldom get around to it.