My horsefield tortoise is very poorly! HELP!

Amy-louu

My tortoise Ludo has just turned 2 years old. He's a very active little tortoise. Recently (3 days maybes) He's started to not be as active and yesterday I noticed he'd not moved all day and he was very swollen. I've made an appointment with a vet for tomorrow but I'm so worried about him. I feel like any advice would help right now.
He's not pooed in a few days and he's constantly sleeping, not moving and he's struggling to walk. He's just not himself at all.
I'd recently bought a new UV light from eBay as my local pet store was out of stock of the type I get. I don't know if it could be anything to do with that,
Personally I think it could be a bladder stone but I'm very unsure.
I've not gave him any food today as I don't want to block him up anymore than he already is and I've been bathing him 3 times a day.
I bought a new UV light and heat light even though I'd changed them 3 weeks ago.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I just need to make sure he's comfortable and ok till I get him to the vet.

10967777_10204710114525779_1971051065_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Amy-louu

My tortoise Ludo has just turned 2 years old. He's a very active little tortoise. Recently (3 days maybes) He's started to not be as active and yesterday I noticed he'd not moved all day and he was very swollen. I've made an appointment with a vet for tomorrow but I'm so worried about him. I feel like any advice would help right now.
He's not pooed in a few days and he's constantly sleeping, not moving and he's struggling to walk. He's just not himself at all.
I'd recently bought a new UV light from eBay as my local pet store was out of stock of the type I get. I don't know if it could be anything to do with that,
Personally I think it could be a bladder stone but I'm very unsure.
I've not gave him any food today as I don't want to block him up anymore than he already is and I've been bathing him 3 times a day.
I bought a new UV light and heat light even though I'd changed them 3 weeks ago.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I just need to make sure he's comfortable and ok till I get him to the vet.

Attachments

• 10967777_10204710114525779_1971051065_n.jpg
    10967777_10204710114525779_1971051065_n.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just keep him warm. Sometimes when a tortoise looks swollen its a kidney thing. Let's hope for the best for this little guy. He's so young, I doubt he's had time to form any large stones yet. Do you soak him daily?

Amy-louu

Just keep him warm. Sometimes when a tortoise looks swollen its a kidney thing. Let's hope for the best for this little guy. He's so young, I doubt he's had time to form any large stones yet. Do you soak him daily?

I soak him every 2 days although he hates baths so I started doing them every 3 days as he has water in his viv. I understand it was the wrong thing to do but when I got him I was actually told twice a week (I knew that was wrong) But after reading loads of things I realise now it should be daily :(

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! Keep us posted on what the Vet. has to say. Your young Russian is a cutie!

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I use the same bulb and haven't had any problems hope you figure it out he becomes his old self again

Amy-louu

Just got back from the vets. With him being so small she couldn't do many tests on him but the X-ray she took shows a build up of sand in his intestines so he's been given a few injections to try and help him pass the sand. I always thought the best substrate is the play sand/soil, turns out it's really bad for little tortoises. Wish someone had told me sooner!
He's currently eating a small piece of apple to try and get some food and water into his system. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery :)
Thanks for all your comments! :)

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I guess it's time to change the substrate. If you don't already you should get a flat stone, tile, etc. for your little guy to eat off of.

Amy-louu

Ludo's all of a sudden taken a turn for the worst. He's started having what looks like a fit. I don't know if he straining to have a poo or what.
His mouth is quivering and he keeps extending his head and bringing it in. he passed a gel like substance and I found a bit of apple in his viv. He'd ate the apple earlier today which makes me think hes been sick. I'm really panicking and with it being a Sunday I have no way of getting him to a vet ASAP