My Horsfield is not eating, and is sleepy,please help.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Thank you I will spend tomorrow watching them I want to do my best for the little fella
I did go and watch these. Really good info. My only concerns are with the sand, humidity, and babies.

1) Sand can and does cause impaction problems in torts. A lot of people use it and never have a problem for years but, the risk is there and it does happen. If your tort , like mine, tends to move there food around and it gets sand on it, they still eat. There, they get sand in the system. This can and has killed many torts.
2) Torts need there humidity. In the videos, the person says to much humidity causes respiratory infections, well, it is not the humidity that causes this. It is to low of temps. Although there could also be other reasons too. Also, If you don’t give your tort the proper humidity, they will dehydrate and /or start pyramiding.
3) The video says raising babies is the same as adults. This is not so true. Babies need a closed chamber with higher temps and humidity otherwise you will get pyramiding and they will get sick. If they are raised too dry, you could get failure to thrive syndrome, which could and does kill many babies. When done right, most babies will live, not A 50 % failure rate.

Other then those things, I thought the videos were very informative.

Hope this helps some. Ask any of the more experienced owners on here. If I am wrong, they will say so.