my horsfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty0071

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
england
i am concerned about my 3 year old horsfield i have to wake him up in the morning and he eats for a little bit no where near as much as he was doing and goes back to bed again for the rest of the day :( can anyone help me please

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
matty0071 said:
i am concerned about my 3 year old horsfield i have to wake him up in the morning and he eats for a little bit no where near as much as he was doing and goes back to bed again for the rest of the day :( can anyone help me please
What is he eating?
Where is he housed?
Does he have UVA/B lighting
Has he been wormed
What temp is it where you are?
How long has he been like this?

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
bikerchicspain said:
matty0071 said:
What is he eating?
Where is he housed?
Does he have UVA/B lighting
Has he been wormed
What temp is it where you are?
How long has he been like this?

yes he has uvb and uva lights he is in a tabletop viv and he eats lettuce and mixed greens dandelions carrot doesnt seem to be eating much today no he hasnt been wormed didnt know they did he has been like this for a week know he seems to be scratching alot also

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
If he has never been wormed i would get him done and at the same time get him checked out.What about the temps? Whats the color of his tongue,?does he open hi mouth alot? Does he have discharge from his nose or mouth? What are his eyes and skin like? Does he get calcuim?
Cut the lettuce down to once a week,its nutricional value is almost zero, dandelions are great and any other weed that is natural to them,plantains,forgetme nots,hawkeye,vetch,You can get a list from tortoisetrust. Normaly if a reptile is lethargic,not eating,not moving,ythen you should check the husbandry first,then if all ok and the rep is still the same then it could be health problems.

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
bikerchicspain said:
no discharge eyes seem to be fine. not eaten at all. he doesnt open his mouth that much temp is about 27 in basking area but nothing has changed since we got him lights are still the same

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
What about the colour of the tongue,? If that iis a normal colour then i dont think there is anything to worry about. But just to be on the safe side get him checked out with your rep vet along with worming. Mine will often go a few days without eatingespecially the female when she digs in, my male tho never stops eating..

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
bikerchicspain said:
her is eating dandelions mouth seems to be pink and ive kept him under lights not letting her go to bed i never hibernated her this year because it would be my first time and was a bit scared so maybe that is why i use nutrobol on her food but my wife has been forgeting to put it on she says now when we bought her the breeder said it was male but when we took it to the vet last ear he said it was female we took it to the vet with a similar problem and we upped the wattage of the lights and it improved hope this helps

bikerchicspain said:
What about the colour of the tongue,? If that iis a normal colour then i dont think there is anything to worry about. But just to be on the safe side get him checked out with your rep vet along with worming. Mine will often go a few days without eatingespecially the female when she digs in, my male tho never stops eating..

tongue seems pink what do you mean dig in???

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
What wattage is your lights?
Is she bathing or drinking?
Im not familiar with Nutrobol, I take it that its a multivitamin with nutrients, If you are feeding everything that torts should eat, then you shouldnt need to supplement so often. the only thing needed if you dont hibernate is Heating, UVA/B, luke warm baths, fresh food and supps when needed. My torts are in a very large rabbit cage with unfertilised soil mixed with playsand a large water dish with ramp, natural plants/weeds, stones, food dish and a little wooden house, The cage is on wheels so i can wheel it in or out depending on the weather although its fitted with a heat lamp and a UVA/B for when they cant go outside.

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
bikerchicspain said:
What wattage is your lights?
Is she bathing or drinking?
Im not familiar with Nutrobol, I take it that its a multivitamin with nutrients, If you are feeding everything that torts should eat, then you shouldnt need to supplement so often. the only thing needed if you dont hibernate is Heating, UVA/B, luke warm baths, fresh food and supps when needed. My torts are in a very large rabbit cage with unfertilised soil mixed with playsand a large water dish with ramp, natural plants/weeds, stones, food dish and a little wooden house, The cage is on wheels so i can wheel it in or out depending on the weather although its fitted with a heat lamp and a UVA/B for when they cant go outside.
what do you mean heat i am in england weather is rubbish so keep him indoors is it okay shutting his house during the day tho??

100w basking light and a 10.0 uvb light which is 13 watt i bath her every week sometimes twice a week recently

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
OK,In england it gets to cold for the african spur in winter so if you dont want to hibernate her then you should put her some heating so that the temps stay the same throughout winter,just slightly dropping them at night. There is no need to shut him in his house, He is in a tabletop right? so put the heat lamp on for him and the he will decide whether he wants to wander or not, If you dont have a heating source i think that might be your problem, once he gets warm he will move and eat more,also get another vet as he should of recommended that the tort be wormed. they should be wormed when you acquire them then once a year about mid August so its done before they prepare themselves for hibernation.

What i meant by dig in is that torts especially African spurs are fantastic at digging, they dig in either to take shade from the sun and to keep cool or to keep from losing the warmth that theyve stored up during the day.

You need to make sure she bathes more, Torts hydrate thro their bottom, so its like you drinkin once or twice a week.put a bathing dish in her table top. 13 watt is not that much, although it depends on size of tabletop and how far away it is from the tort.. Have a look at Tortoisetrust.org, briliant site

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
bikerchicspain said:
OK,In england it gets to cold for the african spur in winter so if you dont want to hibernate her then you should put her some heating so that the temps stay the same throughout winter,just slightly dropping them at night. There is no need to shut him in his house, He is in a tabletop right? so put the heat lamp on for him and the he will decide whether he wants to wander or not, If you dont have a heating source i think that might be your problem, once he gets warm he will move and eat more,also get another vet as he should of recommended that the tort be wormed. they should be wormed when you acquire them then once a year about mid August so its done before they prepare themselves for hibernation.

What i meant by dig in is that torts especially African spurs are fantastic at digging, they dig in either to take shade from the sun and to keep cool or to keep from losing the warmth that theyve stored up during the day.

You need to make sure she bathes more, Torts hydrate thro their bottom, so its like you drinkin once or twice a week.put a bathing dish in her table top. 13 watt is not that much, although it depends on size of tabletop and how far away it is from the tort.. Have a look at Tortoisetrust.org, briliant site

put a dish of water in she has aspen in table and in her bedding area is hay been outside today do you think she is confused and wants to hibernate how do i keep the table top at a constant temp ive bought a rde heat glow lamp 50w is this any good to leave on at night or i have a blue bulb 60w to leave on at night what temp should it be at night and during the day in the basking area

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The idea of a table top is freedom of movement, Ceramic heat lamps are the best for heating as bulbs tend to disturb the animals sleep patterns even if the box says specially for the night.
You shouldnt have to worry about a constant temp as the tortoise will move under the lamp if shes cold, Then move away to get cooler. This way she decides.
The only light they should get is from the UVA/B lighting. In England Tortoise normally hibernate from october thro to march depending on temps,28/25 degrees is an ok temp and at night it can drop to anything like 20ºc. lighting should be similiar to daylight hours no lighting what so ever should be left on over night it just stresses the animal,.Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.