My humidity levels are 86%

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
i have purchased some coco coir and soaked it adaquatly it felt damp to touch not wet so I paced it in my tortoise table and also on my hide my tortoise table is having problems maintaing temps so I have put a Perspex lid over it which has really help with the temperature issue however back to the coir I placed my horse field into his enclosure with the coir in the humidity level was at 86 I removed the top of the table for a while and it went down to 80 in the hide were Clyde was sleepin the humidity was 82 so after it bein in his enclosure for 5 hours with his bulb on the humidity never reduced any more so I have removed the coir as I don't want Clyde to become unwell with the humidity bein so high and just for now put the aspen bak in which the humidity in there now is 58 how can I get the humidity into 50%-60% with the coir please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The coir needs to dry out a little. That's all. It will in time. You might also try propping up a section of the perspex to let some humid air out. You'll have to experiment to see what works best in your enclosure.

As long as your enclosure warms up during the day and is not perpetually cold, those humidity levels should not cause any problems. Cold + damp = problems. Warm + damp = no problem.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Well Tim Iv removed the four out as I was worried Iv got it dryin out slightly at room temperature on plastic trays so I will pop it bak in tomorrow wen it dried slightly but what I was worried about was the drop in temps at night time n it still bein really damp y tho tom is the humidity at 57 in day with aspen in n 66 now I thought those humidity % was good but aspen was dry I don't understand

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura. Your full grown Russian tortoise doesn't require the high humidity that is required when keeping baby tortoises. She'll do just fine with SLIGHTLY damp substrate underneath, but a dry top layer. She also doesn't need a closed chamber.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Very pretty enclosure. You don't see fully closed chambers for adult Russians very often, but it's certainly aesthetically pleasing. How does it open to clean?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Still with the height of the light and that small square, I would be surprised if any UVB is making it to ground level. @Markw84 can probably answer that

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Well only reason mine is closed is because when I first joined the forum was for help as my temperatures was low other Than under bulb and he was not active he was just in bed all time so with help from all you fantastic peopl I put a top on and he's been a different tort ever since but as he's growing now his other house was gettin to small