My Intro

CamSea

Hi, My name's Cam! I have a Russian Red Foot tortoise, I've had him for about 4 months now. I've been fascinated with turtles and tortoises my entire life, and I was so excited when I had enough money to get him and supplies.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461870109.291358.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461870126.589744.jpg

His name is Sheldon but me and my family just call him Nugget. I live in SE Michigan, so I can only take him out during he spring and summer months, so I take advantage of the situation greatly. I take him outside, and he fills himself up on dandelions and grass, and when I can't, I'll give him spring mix or sometimes strawberries and raspberries, as well as dried veggies and crickets and stuff that come in this bag.

I had him in a glass enclosure, but realized he wasn't happy in it, so I built him a enclosure out of wood. He loves it!

I also have a question. When he's not under his heat lamp or wandering, he sleeps in a corner. I have a hide in there, but he won't sleep in it. Is this normal?

Anyways, thanks for reading this and helping me out.

Regards,
Cam

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort's diet should be leafy greens, by the way. It can't digest sugars properly so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very occasionally

Rue

Canada
Very cute Russian aka Horsfield's. Not a Redfoot. But maybe I am still missing something in the naming conventions?

If your enclosure is warm enough I wouldn't be too concerned with where he sleeps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cam, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are browsers, eating mainly broad-leaf weeds and plants. Bugs and fruit should not be part of their diet.

CamSea

Your tort's diet should be leafy greens, by the way. It can't digest sugars properly so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very occasionally

I didn't mention, but I only give him fruit every week or 2. Spring mix and dandelions are the norm for him :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I didn't mention, but I only give him fruit every week or 2. Spring mix and dandelions are the norm for him :)
I would cut it back to a small amount monthly at most.

Bugs are not part of the diet at all.

Spring mix is pretty low in nutrients and fiber, so try to increase the range of weeds fed.

CamSea

Hi

Firstly, you have a Russian Tortoise also known as a Horsfield- A red foot is something completely different, requiring different care and diet

Please read these carefully
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Beginner Mistakes

Russian Care Sheet
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Please post pictures of his enclosure and lights and we'll help you perfect it

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461875107.926323.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461875117.514408.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461875126.189555.jpg

His home is 3.5'x2' with 9 1/2" of wall.
I put a very thin layer of sand, and then coconut fiber substrate on top.

CamSea

I would cut it back to a small amount monthly at most.

Bugs are not part of the diet at all.

Spring mix is pretty low in nutrients and fiber, so try to increase the range of weeds fed.
Thanks!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Some Russians do eat things we humans think should not be on their diet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Sheldon.
There's some great up to date information on the caresheets here and lots of very experienced keepers' brains to pick. So read search and ask as many questions as you like. If you follow all advice Sheldon should hopefully be with you for the rest of your life!!
I think Sheldon could possibly do with a larger water dish to self soak in. Shallow terracotta plant saucers are cheap and widely used.
Sand isn't recommended for substrate as it can cause the gut to become impacted if it gets on food and is eaten, but the caresheet will tell you about better options. If you don't already have one a digital temp gun is more accurate than the pet store dial types of thermometers and great for spot checking your 4 temps.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi and welcome. My Russian will eat worms if I let her! I seen it happen, sure shocked me! She will eat any meat if I put it in there.

twoodsy2003

5 Year Member
Howell, Michigan USA
Welcome Cam and Sheldon! I am also new to the tortoise life and to the forum. Cecil and I are from Michigan as well. I love the info here. Its a great place to learn form those who have the knowledge and experience.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
Hi, My name's Cam! I have a Russian Red Foot tortoise, I've had him for about 4 months now. I've been fascinated with turtles and tortoises my entire life, and I was so excited when I had enough money to get him and supplies.
View attachment 171820View attachment 171821

His name is Sheldon but me and my family just call him Nugget. I live in SE Michigan, so I can only take him out during he spring and summer months, so I take advantage of the situation greatly. I take him outside, and he fills himself up on dandelions and grass, and when I can't, I'll give him spring mix or sometimes strawberries and raspberries, as well as dried veggies and crickets and stuff that come in this bag.

I had him in a glass enclosure, but realized he wasn't happy in it, so I built him a enclosure out of wood. He loves it!

I also have a question. When he's not under his heat lamp or wandering, he sleeps in a corner. I have a hide in there, but he won't sleep in it. Is this normal?

Anyways, thanks for reading this and helping me out.

Regards,
Cam
Your tort looks beautiful! I also own a Russian named Miss Piggy , she's 5. Member Tom has a great care sheet posted on here with everything you need to raise a healthy Russian tortoise. You said you feed him/her strawberries and raspberries? Be careful, fruit can mess up their gut flora. I found that out after feeding apple, oops! Stick with dark leafy greens such as kale, bok choy, water cress and broad leaf greens and weeds from the yard if you're sure they haven't been sprayed with insecticides. I do supplement each meal with soaked Mazuri LS pellets and/or Flukers pellets. Also, collected and dried some dandelion leaves from my yard to sprinkle on meals this winter for extra nutrition. Contact member Cathy G for her Russian tort diet too. Best of luck! The forum is a valuable resource!