My juvenile red foot tortoise won't open her right eye. What could this mean? Advice appreciated!

littletortie

Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
Hi everyone.
I just got this red foot juvenile last week. (see pictures) She seems quite shy (which is understandable since she's in new surroundings) but she won't eat much. She eats about the size of her head. Is that normal? Also, she isn't active. She's only hungry at night it seems though I try to feed her in the morning. She digs (plays?) for about an hour a day, but that is it. Otherwise, she's in this pot just looking around and I noticed that today & yesterday her right eye isn't opening much. Is that normal? I am a bit concerned and am going to make a vet appointment. Her cage is misted twice daily. And her temperature is good along with the lighting. I have gauges in there to check to make sure the humidity & heat is okay.

Recap of my questions:
1. Is it normal for her to eat food only the size of her head?
2. She only moves around for an hour a day. Is that normal for juvenile red foots?
3. Her eye doesn't seem to open easy. Is that just something they do or a sickness?

Thank you!
20221107_121101.jpg
20221107_121104.jpg

Luke1032

Zanesville, Ohio
I am a new Redfoot owner too. but here are a few things I know. Make sure to keep it humid Red foot tortoises love humidity if you don’t it can bother their eyes. You can buy eyedrops at a pet store. I know there is a zoo med brand of eyedrops. they should be very good eaters I think eat around the size of their shell. and it’s good to soak them too. I hope I can be a help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And her temperature is good along with the lighting. I have gauges in there to check to make sure the humidity & heat is okay.
Hello and welcome.

They do sometimes take a few days to settle in to new quarters, but this could be due to a problem with the set up.

What is her temperature?
What heating and lighting are you using?
UV bulb? What type of bulb is it?
What size is the enclosure?
What type of humidity and temp gauges are you using?
It looks too dry in there, but dry is good as long as humidity is high, and hydration is good.

Are you aware that pet stores usually give terrible care advice and sell you all the wrong products and lighting?

With a little more info, we will help you solve the problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Recap of my questions:
1. Is it normal for her to eat food only the size of her head?
2. She only moves around for an hour a day. Is that normal for juvenile red foots?
3. Her eye doesn't seem to open easy. Is that just something they do or a sickness?
1. No, not normal.
2. No again.
3. There is a problem.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.

They do sometimes take a few days to settle in to new quarters, but this could be due to a problem with the set up.

What is her temperature?
It looks too dry in there, but dry is good as long as humidity is high, and hydration is good.

Are you aware that pet stores usually give terrible care advice and sell you all the wrong products and lighting?

ONLY EATS at night says to me:
○Incorrect temperature. Maybe too hot
○Incorrect lighting. Maybe too harsh. And this could also cause eye issues

Yes. Please provide photos of your lighting and heat sources as well as temperature and humidity level.
Redfoot are food hogs. Your little guy should be eating more. And needs to stay well hydrated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes. Please provide photos of your lighting and heat sources as well as temperature and humidity level.
Redfoot are food hogs. Your little guy should be eating more. And needs to stay well hydrated
I did not read close enough. Very good catch. I agree with your assessment.

littletortie

San Francisco
Hello and welcome.

What is her temperature?

Hello Tom. Thank you for getting back to me. I really appreciate your help. I have been trying to keep her temps between about 87 on the warm side under the lamp and 70-75 degrees on the other side. I'm using the Flukers 100 watt ceramic heat lamp and using the Repti Zoo 39 watt reptile T5 Ho uvb combo lighting kit. The enclosure is about 2 1/2 feet by 4 feet. She is around 7 inches. I am using the zoo med thermometer/humidity gauge and the Exo Terra digital thermometer with a probe. I spray the enclosure 2 times a day. It is hard to tell if the humidity is correct. The gauge is close to the heat lamp, perhaps that's messing up the correct humidity. Humidity reads about 60 to 70. She's got a large water bowl for her as well, hoping that can also keep up humidity. Thank you so much for your help.

littletortie

San Francisco

I will copy & paste info on the information you asked that I also sent to someone else on here: I have been trying to keep her temps between about 87 on the warm side under the lamp and 70-75 degrees on the other side. I'm using the Flukers 100 watt ceramic heat lamp and using the Repti Zoo 39 watt reptile T5 Ho uvb combo lighting kit. The enclosure is about 2 1/2 feet by 4 feet. She is around 7 inches. I am using the zoo med thermometer/humidity gauge and the Exo Terra digital thermometer with a probe. I spray the enclosure 2 times a day. It is hard to tell if the humidity is correct. The gauge is close to the heat lamp, perhaps that's messing up the correct humidity. Humidity reads about 60 to 70.

If you'd still like pictures, I'd be happy to do that as well. To keep them hydrated, shall I bathe more than 3 times a week?

Thank you very much for you help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I believe that your "combo" light may be a MERCURY VAPOR bulb or MVB.
If it is, that would (and will) make a shade loving Redfoot feel uncomfortable.
Can you photograph it?

littletortie

San Francisco
I believe that your "combo" light may be a MERCURY VAPOR bulb or MVB.
If it is, that would (and will) make a shade loving Redfoot feel uncomfortable.
Can you photograph it?
Yes, here is a picture of her light with the enclosure. If you need a better/different picture, please let me know. Thank you.20221107_165627.jpg

Luke1032

Zanesville, Ohio
The cage looks great to me just make sure to water down the substrate a bit to get it nice and humid. Keep us updated with your little guy. Best of luck.👍

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, if anything else looks wrong with the cage, please inform me. Thank you for your help.
The light looks correct.
But there is going to be an ongoing issue with that open topped enclosure.
You're going to be fighting a losing battle with humidity and if you close off most of the top to trap it in, the wood will likely start to rot or grow mold.
It's also quite a bit too small.
I hate giving such disappointing advice. I don't know why those are sold for tortoise care. They just aren't a good choice.
None of this explains the issues you've previously reported
So I'm still at a loss.

Luke1032

Zanesville, Ohio
I didn’t even think about the word rotting overtime of the humidity. maybe you could put some pool liner or something to protect the wood from rotting. You could even put tinfoil on the side to keep humidity. for now I think it is fine. Just make sure to upgrade your little guy enclosure. in the warmer seasons it’s a great idea to take them outside for the sunlight there’s no lightbulb that beats the natural sunlight. and just checking make sure to give your tortoise some calcium kettle bone works too.