My juvie sulcata not eating? spoiled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
So my juvie sully DonaTello won't eat his food. I was given a sample of Mazuri from Tyler Stewart (thanks Tyler!.:D) at the reptile show and my baby loved it. Well I ran out of it a few days ago and now he sits on his food slate and won't eat anything I put in front of him! Should I just 'tough love' him through his pickiness.......or what? I only gave him 2 pellets a day mixed with his greeens, so it wasn't his main diet......am I worrying too much????? He's drinking his water and pooping like normal but won't eat!
I need my expert friends on here to help out...??:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
The sulcata motto, after all, is "Lead me not to temptation, I can find it on my own!"... :D ...Give him a day or two, as even the pickiest sulcata only has so much will-power...

On a related note, my two Europeans are only now warming up to Mazuri, but my daughter's two Ornate Box turtles think they've died and gone to heaven when we give them some, and have ever since the box from Cory arrived. :cool:

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
How long has he gone without eating anything? A few days? I'd do tough love for a week with a juvie and I'd be very surprised if he went much longer without eating something. Are you offering the same greens you usually mixed with it? How long had you been doing the greens + Mazuri? Otherwise, mix in the good and bad foods and decrease the bad food over time to get the tortoise on the diet you want.

I do think Mazuri is one of the only two commercial foods I'd feed, but I wouldn't want to give it as any significant part of the diet because it does have ingredients that a tort wouldn't find in the wild (I particularly don't care for the D3 and the molasses), and some torts really do get addicted to it (tortoise crack I like to call it!).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Get more Mazuri for later.. but get it now to have on hand.. tough love for a bit.. then dont run out again!! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that's funny my sulc looked at the mazuri and turned his nose up at it, same thing with my three toed, he wil eat it, but not in love with it, my redfoot on the other hand thinks it is the greatest stuff ever invented, he told me so, I only give it to him once a week though. I would go with tough love myself.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. When I put his food on his slate (no mazuri) he runs to it, sniffs it and then walks all over his food dragging it all over, not eating even a tinnie tiny bite......little brat! I take him outside (outdoor enclosure) and he does the same thing.....sniffs it and walks off! Whats puzzling is he wouldn't even touch the mazuri when I first offered it......does this mean he's officially a 'crack head' now????

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
The sulcata motto, after all, is "Lead me not to temptation, I can find it on my own!"... :D

That's funny!

That should be a plaque on Bob's gate. ;)

Is he still on his hunger strike?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Have you tried something colorful like blooms or a few slivers of carrot?

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Yeah he's still on a hunger strike, the little brat. I did catch him picking at some
weeds outside though....but he's mainly hanging out on his food slate...waiting
for the 'mazuri god' to show up......my little lovable crack head!

Status
Not open for further replies.