My Latest Endeavor...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Fascinating! I had no idea of this increase/decrease in populations. But since you've pointed it out, I think that had I thought about it, I may have figured it out. Nature is never static, there is always ebb and flow, changing circumstances, and encroachment by humans.

I must say, I also had a good laugh at Morty the football. That reminds me of when I was about 3. I was terrified of getting new shoes and began screaming immediately upon entry to the store. At the doorway, my dad picked me up and put me under his left arm, like a football, and took me to a chair, where he had to restrain me so I didn't make an escape. I may have been only 3, but I actually remember this incident.

And yes, I did get over my terror, so I can buy shoes without any drama. :)
I love you. Too funny 🤣🤗

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
QUESTION: You mentioned that you have to house them separately, for their safety when they're at hunting weight. Why is this?? What is the danger about them being housed together when they're at hunting weight? (I assume hunting weight is LOW to inspire them to hunt so they can eat...)
When they are hungry and keen to hunt, there is a possibility that they could prey on each other. This is more typical with a large female and a smaller male. During the molt when the weather is hotter and they are eating as much food as they want, there is generally less risk of them hurting each other.

Its kind of likes wolves or dogs. Yes, they are social and live in groups, but...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two weeks later and all is good. No more crabbing at all, and they are in top hunting form now. We had a terrific outing today after a cold night.

Let's talk about boots. I bought this first pair in the last century when I was working in Louisiana. I paid $25 for them and they were waterproof at the time of purchase. If memory serves, I got them at Academy sports. I didn't wear them much until I started falconry just a few years ago, and they turned out to be the perfect falconry boot for me. I wear them almost every day.
IMG_7939.jpg
At this point they have around 3000 miles on them of walking, hiking and sprinting up and down hill and over rough terrain. They started looking a little rough about 3 years ago, so I went on-line and started looking for replacements.

I found these:
IMG_7942.jpg
They are great. Comfortable, waterproof, but there is one problem: If the temperature is anywhere above freezing, they are wayyyy too hot. They are great in the snow. I don't wear them often, but I'm glad I have them when I need them.

Next I found this pair. These are comfortable and stay cool in hotter weather, but not waterproof. These will replace my main pair when the main pair finally fall apart and disintegrate. I carry these new ones with me every day because I expect the old ones to literally come apart any day now.
IMG_7940.jpg

A good friend of mine was in the Marine Corp. He told me he was getting me "the last pair of boots I'd ever need." They are super tough and reasonably comfortable. They don't over heat my feet, but the heels rub a little on steep uphill climbs. Not sure how to remedy that. These even have the Marine Corp logo:
IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

While I am a man of many hats, I'm also a man of many boots...

I prefer not to load the birds and drive to the field in my boots. I usually put the boots on when I park. Likewise, after miles of hard trekking and running to help the birds, I like to get my feet out of the boots for the drive home. Sometimes I'll wear flip flops, but I'm usually parked in areas that are dirty, thorny, and sometimes muddy. Its also usually quite cold when I'm picking up the birds at first light. For these occasions, I sport these classy numbers with pride:
IMG_7945.jpg
I think I've had the Crocs as long as I've had the first pair. They are comfortable and they keep my feet warm and dry. I don't care if they are not fashionable. They suit my needs perfectly.

Now you know what you'll find on my feet wile doing falconry in any weather. :)

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Two weeks later and all is good. No more crabbing at all, and they are in top hunting form now. We had a terrific outing today after a cold night.

Let's talk about boots. I bought this first pair in the last century when I was working in Louisiana. I paid $25 for them and they were waterproof at the time of purchase. If memory serves, I got them at Academy sports. I didn't wear them much until I started falconry just a few years ago, and they turned out to be the perfect falconry boot for me. I wear them almost every day.
View attachment 351532
At this point they have around 3000 miles on them of walking, hiking and sprinting up and down hill and over rough terrain. They started looking a little rough about 3 years ago, so I went on-line and started looking for replacements.

I found these:
View attachment 351533
They are great. Comfortable, waterproof, but there is one problem: If the temperature is anywhere above freezing, they are wayyyy too hot. They are great in the snow. I don't wear them often, but I'm glad I have them when I need them.

Next I found this pair. These are comfortable and stay cool in hotter weather, but not waterproof. These will replace my main pair when the main pair finally fall apart and disintegrate. I carry these new ones with me every day because I expect the old ones to literally come apart any day now.
View attachment 351538

A good friend of mine was in the Marine Corp. He told me he was getting me "the last pair of boots I'd ever need." They are super tough and reasonably comfortable. They don't over heat my feet, but the heels rub a little on steep uphill climbs. Not sure how to remedy that. These even have the Marine Corp logo:
View attachment 351539

View attachment 351540

I prefer not to load the birds and drive to the field in my boots. I usually put the boots on when I park. Likewise, after miles of hard trekking and running to help the birds, I like to get my feet out of the boots for the drive home. Sometimes I'll wear flip flops, but I'm usually parked in areas that are dirty, thorny, and sometimes muddy. Its also usually quite cold when I'm picking up the birds at first light. For these occasions, I sport these classy numbers with pride:
View attachment 351541
I think I've had the Crocs as long as I've had the first pair. They are comfortable and they keep my feet warm and dry. I don't care if they are not fashionable. They suit my needs perfectly.

I’d recommend L.L. Bean boots, but they’re meant for harsh New England winters. I’m not sure how to help the “thin blooded” friends…

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

View attachment 351532

I found these:
View attachment 351533

View attachment 351538

View attachment 351539

View attachment 351540

View attachment 351541

Seriously Tom, you are still using the first boots pictured? I use the word boots lightly lol.
They need to be put too rest. They are screaming to be retired, burned actually.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seriously Tom, you are still using the first boots pictured? I use the word boots lightly lol.
They need to be put too rest. They are screaming to be retired, burned actually.
HA! NEVER!!!! I seriously considered retiring them a couple of years ago, but they kept on working, serving their purpose, day after day, so then at some point it become a novelty. I thought to myself, how many more days can I wear them before they literally separate or fall apart? I never expected them to last this long, and I smile a little smile every time I put them on now. Those boots outlasted their useful life years ago, and now every additional day I get from them is like getting something extra for free. Those boots are older than some of the people working for me now!

I bring extra shoes and socks in my kit, fully expecting to have to walk out of a field with the sole flapping around loose any day now, but they just keep going, protecting my feet with comfort and familiarity. I mean it: I am going to keep wearing them every day until they literally fall apart while in use! I'll post pictures when it happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HA! NEVER!!!! I seriously considered retiring them a couple of years ago, but they kept on working, serving their purpose, day after day, so then at some point it become a novelty. I thought to myself, how many more days can I wear them before they literally separate or fall apart? I never expected them to last this long, and I smile a little smile every time I put them on now. Those boots outlasted their useful life years ago, and now every additional day I get from them is like getting something extra for free. Those boots are older than some of the people working for me now!

I bring extra shoes and socks in my kit, fully expecting to have to walk out of a field with the sole flapping around loose any day now, but they just keep going, protecting my feet with comfort and familiarity. I mean it: I am going to keep wearing them every day until they literally fall apart while in use! I'll post pictures when it happens.
I do know that feeling of not letting go of something very comfortable. I have two pairs of the exact same jeans, they are so comfy. I have had them for years, 12 years or more. I have searched every place to buy a couple new pairs, none to be found. For 3 maybe even 4 years now I have had to replace the patches from same place on both pairs. I refuse to give them up until I can no longer patch them. Lol
Happy Falconry Trekking in your worn out boots.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
YO!!! TOM!!!
1) How are you doing?
2) How are your boots doing?
3) How are Rick and Morty doing?
4) How is 7 doing? And is he working in any shows/movies these days?

Hugs from south Louisiana! :cool:

Bea/Mooz

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Tom!
I recently watched a YouTube video on cassowaries- crazy, dangerous dinosaur birds!
I know you’ve worked with ostriches and emus- have you ever worked with cassowaries??!?!😬

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
YO!!! TOM!!!
1) How are you doing?
2) How are your boots doing?
3) How are Rick and Morty doing?
4) How is 7 doing? And is he working in any shows/movies these days?

Hugs from south Louisiana! :cool:

Bea/Mooz
I never saw this post Moo!

1. Except for no income due to the strike for 7 months, I'm doing very well. I own the business and the ranch now. My family is alive and healthy. No complaints. Life continues to try to knock me down. I continue to fight back with fury. You know, just the usual.
2. The old boots finally got chucked. The new boots are broken in and I love them!
3. Rick's wings grew back during the molt this year, and he started to chew them off again. I took him over to my friend's house and we "imped" in some of his old molted feathers into the broken shafts of the chewed ones and this stopped the behavior cold. He's flying around with three flight feathers from a previous year and doing great. He caught a jack rabbit all by himself this morning.

Morty died. Long story. Very sad.

Jessica shows moments of brilliance, but sometimes seems a bit clueless about what we are doing out there.

4. Seven is still kicking. He's getting older and weaker in the back end, but still doing fine other than that. He will be 13 years old if he makes it to June next year. Nobody is working much due to the strike. I hope he will get some jobs when we all get back to work. His brain is still sharp and he wants to work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, Tom!
I recently watched a YouTube video on cassowaries- crazy, dangerous dinosaur birds!
I know you’ve worked with ostriches and emus- have you ever worked with cassowaries??!?!😬
My friend's have a couple of cassowaries. I've never personally worked with them, but I've heard about how dangerous they are. Limu the emu and Limu's kid are my emu now. We have more Limu commercials coming up next week. They will probably run in the next 6-8 weeks.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I never saw this post Moo!

1. Except for no income due to the strike for 7 months, I'm doing very well. I own the business and the ranch now. My family is alive and healthy. No complaints. Life continues to try to knock me down. I continue to fight back with fury. You know, just the usual.
2. The old boots finally got chucked. The new boots are broken in and I love them!
3. Rick's wings grew back during the molt this year, and he started to chew them off again. I took him over to my friend's house and we "imped" in some of his old molted feathers into the broken shafts of the chewed ones and this stopped the behavior cold. He's flying around with three flight feathers from a previous year and doing great. He caught a jack rabbit all by himself this morning.

Morty died. Long story. Very sad.

Jessica shows moments of brilliance, but sometimes seems a bit clueless about what we are doing out there.

4. Seven is still kicking. He's getting older and weaker in the back end, but still doing fine other than that. He will be 13 years old if he makes it to June next year. Nobody is working much due to the strike. I hope he will get some jobs when we all get back to work. His brain is still sharp and he wants to work.
Fab, I had no clue you owned the emus. I'll pay more attention in the future! The commercials actually usually appeal to my warped sense of humor.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Interesting. Simply because I've worked with ostriches and emu. I enjoyed the 2 ostriches and offspring because they liked me. If they didn't it could have went crazy and did for certain other people. I watched over some emus also. My experience was that they were very timid and harder to deal with and keep them safe than ostriches. Both of them lay such beautiful eggs! Especially an emu . It's a beautiful deep green.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fab, I had no clue you owned the emus. I'll pay more attention in the future! The commercials actually usually appeal to my warped sense of humor.
I always thought the emus were photo shopped. (I hope they don't drop the grand piano on Doug. I like him in that role)