My leopard tortoises eyes look swollen

RyanW81969

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
Hi my leopard tortoise eyes look swollen and I’m not sure how it happened but I noticed it happing when I had it in a closed chamber but the light I had was a uvb coil light which I know is bad but I changed it to a ordinarily lightIMG_1522084253.654078.jpg not sure if I should use this or the other light but I need a suggestion on what to do for my tortoise. Also I haven’t seen him eat or poop the temp in his tank is 90*FView attachment 234269

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never seen a bulb like that. Why don't you experiment and take that light away, just have regular heat with no UVB for a while. You can buy (probably have to buy it online) eye drops to sooth the eyes until they get better:

Attachments

• eye ointment b.jpg
    eye ointment b.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 43

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I meant to add to just use a regular, old style 60 watt incandescent bulb for a while.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Should I just use my heat emitter? I’m not sure what a incandescent bulb really is
This is an incandescent bulb:

13771446_Alt01

RyanW81969

Menifee
Hi I don’t have any incandescent light bulbs around I just have led bulbs idk what to do

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
It’s doing better I took the foil off so there’s no chamber and today I should be able to get the eye ointment and today he poooped which I think the lighting is good or better now

That’s awesome so glad to hear! Keep us updated!!!!

RyanW81969

Menifee
Okay I got the eye drops yesterday! And I applied it 3 times and he looks wayy better but when he woulld move around he would go against the glass and I don’t want that to happen so I’m gonna get a mixing tub. Another thing, I have only seen him poop once and ignore the food, what do I do?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can tape paper around the lower portion of the glass to keep him from seeing out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Okay will do and also his poop is white from what I’ve seen
I've never noticed urates with my leopard tortoises. If you're seeing white poop (urates), then maybe your tortoise is dehydrated.

RyanW81969

Menifee
I've never noticed urates with my leopard tortoises. If you're seeing white poop (urates), then maybe your tortoise is dehydrated.

I don’t think he’s dehydrated because I see him drink once or twice a day..

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
I only keep an eye on my girl for a min in the morn closely to make sure she eats and even after she takes a 20 minute soak she drinks in the enclosure soon after. I feel once or twice isn’t enough. I could also be incorrect...