My lesson, learned the hard way: Do not keep 2 tortoises together.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
sibi said:
I was one who had two sibling babies. As babies, they were inseparable. They soaked together, ate together, even slept together. I was convinced that my two were different and that they could be together possibly because they were siblings. Boy was I wrong. At about 5-6 months, there was definitely one who dominated the other. Even though there was no physical signs of bullying, I noticed that the one being bullied was just not thriving enough. I even witnessed when they were being fed, the one being bullied just stood there looking at the other eating. There was a long stare, then he took a nip at the other's face. Although he missed, I became alarmed. I also noticed very subtle changes in activities, eating, and overall demeanor. I decided to house them separately. It wasn't upsetting to me because I was just happy that they could feel safe. They both seemed to like being alone. About a year later, I discovered the two were males! So, I was so glad that I had separated them a long time before. I now have them in a huge backyard; however, the shyness and lethargic behavior continues for one of them. Even though they hardly cross paths, I still feel that the one is unhappy. I watch them both like a hawk. Neither one is incapable of defending themselves. In fact the one who seems unhappy is more dangerous than the other. He had shown that he could really hurt his bigger brother. I've discussed with my husband to split the yard altogether. My husband is against it, but we may just have to because the two sullies are not even 2 years old yet!

I often referr to Russians as miniature Sulcatas in personality. It is very typical for bullying to begin at a young age with them. Long before they reach sexual maturity. It is a delicate balance to convince a group of them to get along. But so far Tom is doing it the right way. Large enclosures with lots of room to roam and explore. Plus opportunities for everyone to get a break from the others is all good. I sometimes explain it to someone as if they were training a dog. Tire them out with a long walk. Happy socially acceptable dog. Mentally stimulate them with a problem to solve or a job to do. Happy socially acceptable dog. Scrunch them all together in a small yard with too much energy to burn and you get cranky bored dogs who fight.

Wow I changed species alot in there... did anyone get the point?

ben32hayt said:
Hi I wanted to share an experience my friend had with his RT's. He didn't know much about tortoises and wanted one because they are cute. He had them in a 30 gallon tank and had two males which he would later discover is a huge mistake. He told me they were mating so I went to see what was going on he clearly had to make and one was dominating the other. The next week he realized one of the was missing an eye!
:( This is when he decided to give his tortoises away.

This terrible and far far to common. I see it all the time in ones that come in to the rescue. I hear so often "we had two but one of them died. They loved playing with each other/mating/wrestling. Now since his friend died he is depressed" Their dominant aggression gets anthropomorphised into cute human behaviors. To use my earlier analogy of the dogs behavior. It could easily be said that when big dogs misbehave it gets a negative reaction from the humans. But a little tiny puffball of a dog misbehaving and being socially unacceptable is still "the baby" to its owers. Two Sulcata males fighting hard enough for one to lose an eye is going to get noticed. Two Russians doing the same...maybe not.

Now of course, as in all things there are exceptions to this situation. But I find them to be rare.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
sibi said:
I was one who had two sibling babies. As babies, they were inseparable. They soaked together, ate together, even slept together. I was convinced that my two were different and that they could be together possibly because they were siblings. Boy was I wrong. At about 5-6 months, there was definitely one who dominated the other. Even though there was no physical signs of bullying, I noticed that the one being bullied was just not thriving enough. I even witnessed when they were being fed, the one being bullied just stood there looking at the other eating. There was a long stare, then he took a nip at the other's face. Although he missed, I became alarmed. I also noticed very subtle changes in activities, eating, and overall demeanor. I decided to house them separately. It wasn't upsetting to me because I was just happy that they could feel safe. They both seemed to like being alone. About a year later, I discovered the two were males! So, I was so glad that I had separated them a long time before. I now have them in a huge backyard; however, the shyness and lethargic behavior continues for one of them. Even though they hardly cross paths, I still feel that the one is unhappy. I watch them both like a hawk. Neither one is incapable of defending themselves. In fact the one who seems unhappy is more dangerous than the other. He had shown that he could really hurt his bigger brother. I've discussed with my husband to split the yard altogether. My husband is against it, but we may just have to because the two sullies are not even 2 years old yet!

Wow! Sibi, thanks for posting!
Interesting experience. Not surprising, but definitely drives a point home.