Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can't watch the video right now, but didn't anyone tell you tortoises can't swim!!!? Haha. We had a thread on this a while back. I think it's pretty cool to see them swim. My tortoise seemed very comfortable with her first swim.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Adorable : )

Occasionally parts of my pens will flood with real heavy rains, and some of the young sulcatas gravitate towards the deepest water and go for a similar swim. My leopards will do the the same but I have never seen an adult sulcata swim. I wonder if at some point their density becomes a buoyancy issue? They have so much bladder space and a lot of control over the amount of gas in their lungs (since they are not negative pressure based like mammal) so I wouldn't be comfortable saying its not possible, but I am still not convinced that an adult (70+lb) sulcata could stay afloat just do to sheer physics. My own adults show no interest but I would love to know if your tortoise continues to swim as he gains mass. Or perhaps if any forum members have an older swimming sulcata. And no, I am not thinking of installing an Olympic sized tortoise pool, just infinitely curious about their abilities...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ATC did a post of several of his adults in their big pond. I'm not sure of the depth, but either way it's a really cool pic.

If someone knows where that thread is maybe they could post a link.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Someone also posted a thread of an adult leopard that would crawl into a koi pond and bob around. It would climb in and out at will and swim around on it's own.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Tom said:
ATC did a post of several of his adults in their big pond. I'm not sure of the depth, but either way it's a really cool pic.

If someone knows where that thread is maybe they could post a link.

I don't know how to post a link but you prompted me to find this post, pretty cool picture! Titled "sully swimming lessons" if anyone is interested in searching it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe you need to build spectator seating....lol...great reminded of how Galapagos torts and a variety of others likely moved from ones place to another...fantastic video...:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
thats pretty cool.. mine will sit in a puddle and flip thier legs.. not sure if its a swimming motion or mudd flipping..
neat that he floats...

hondaa

5 Year Member
Canada
Iv saw few books that leo tortoise are one of the best swimmers for a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.