My Little Sif - Not so little anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Hi all. Haven't posted in many, many months. Things have been pretty busy here.

Just wanted to post some pics of my little Sif. She's about 14 months old now. I got her when she was 4-5 months old.

First day, getting a soak after being shipped.
SifArrived2.jpg

Also first day checking out her new pad. Note the size of her compared to water dish.
Sif2.jpg

Her old 2x4 ft enclosure. She now shares a 4x6 ft enclosure with Thor.
SifIndoor1.jpg

Her today. Pretty smooth growth. Wish I had gotten her as a 1 month old or so. But happy! She is very active and no longer shy like she was when I first got her.
100_0113.jpg

Enjoying Mazuri day. Look at the concentration! LOL.
100_0119.jpg

And her compared to the same water dish (I need new ones now!)
100_0125.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
She is just a beauty Rob. Looks like she's going to be needing a new water dish soon. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Posts like this bring me immense joy. Words cannot describe it. Just a few years ago, no one had ever seen a captive raised leopard this smooth. Every book and every expert was still saying the same things: "Hot and dry", "Desert species", "they get their water from their food", etc... WRONG!

Now look at us today.:D All we ever see is near perfect shells on this forum. I find it so interesting. Everybody's adult leopards and sulcatas are pyramided to some degree and almost all of the babies we see nowadays are totally smooth. I can't even imagine how perfect a tortoise like Sif will look as an adult.

She looks fantastic Rob. You've done a great job. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys. She is an amazing tort. Although right now she is looking more male. But don't tell her that :p.

And Tom, thanks to your great advice almost a year ago now I was able to help her shell grow smooth.

I will say to those who are new and are striving for smooth growth. Spraying the shells once or twice a day in my opinion is a HUGE factor in this.

I won't go into huge detail. But my two tortoises (Sif 14 months, and Thor 26 months old) were fed basically the same thing. They were given as much outside time as I could (2-8 hours a day, many times a week). Calcium and Vitamin supplements, all the same. Lighting/heat the same. Same humid hides with moist substrate. Always had access to water 24/7 with soaks many times a week.

The only thing I did different with Sif, who is smooth is sprayed her shell 1-2 times a day the day she arrived. Everything else was as close as you can get to the same.

When I got Thor (at 3-4 months old). There was no info about spraying their shells for this species. At about 12 months old I noticed he was slowly getting worse in regards to the pyramiding. Never sprayed his shell. He is now decently pyramided. And I do believe a lot of it had to do with not directly spraying his shell. Again this is MY experience. Nothing more.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
How beautiful. I love updates like this that show a difference in size/age as their development changes.

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
wow! what a difference.... and I agree with Tom. It is exciting to understand more about their needs in our care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.