My male ornate box help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
He bends his neck back and opens his mouth at me when I hold him what could this mean?
Ps. I only got him 3 weeks ago I iust thought itd stop by now and it hasnt

tickle

5 Year Member
He is trying to bite you or scare you off does he hiss or click.these are defence mechanism no turtle or tortoise like to be picked up ever.watch out they have a mean bite and full of bacteria nice infection.this isnot aproblem he is telling u not to pick him up!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
He is stressed from the handling most likely. Are you supporting his body and all 4 feet with your hands? Or are you just dangling him in the air?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most box turtles that are unaccustomed to being picked up, or to humans, will do this. He wants you to put him down and leave him alone.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Ornates are temperamental as well. I can pick up most of my other box turtles with no issues, but the ornates always give me a little attitude!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Just watch your fingers. I think he will do this less and less as he gets to know you.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Usually it means that they either don't like the way you are holding them , or he doesn't like being held at all. We have an ornate at the wildlife center I work at, and they seem extra cranky lol

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I hold him supporting his back feet and he puts his front feet on my hands too, the thing is he was fine until I introduced him to my female 3 toed box

He doesnt hiss or click at all, sometimes hes okay with it, but other times he not, will he ever be ok with being held?
Thanks for the feedback guys!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
It might just take him a while to trust you . I have had my boxies for a year , and they are still kind of shy around me ...

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Oh good thanks a lot! Its just such a.diferent experience with him compared to my female she was so scared and sweet and took no time at all to adapt and he is just mad even when I look in the tank he looks grumpy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.