My mom's tortoise seems unhappy to me

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
The "Tropical" 5.0 UVB light should be sufficient. Just make sure you have a way of hanging it close to the tort, I think they recommend 12-18inches away. Also the CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) will require a ceramic fixture and a thermostat, those suckers get really hot.

Someone else will have to advise on if the cypress mulch is a good idea considering how wet it is in there, she may be better off with orchid bark since it seems to drain well which will leave moisture on the bottom for humidity and put a barrier on top to keep her shell dry.

It is very admirable of you to be helping this tort out despite your mother's resistance to change. Hopefully it is something you 2 can bond over rather than butt heads on some day.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I feel really awful looking at this poor tortoise and the terrible condition it is in.

Thanks for caring and trying your best to help! Best of luck with this project! It's always worthwhile.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I have found a used 24" UVB light fixture, wondering if that is a good size to get? Going to order a uvb bulb off amazon, as well as a ceramic heat emitter... And some cypress mulch to put on top of the peat moss. Or no? Bad idea?
Sounds good to me.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks for taking care of the poor tort. Any vets around? If so, I'd suggest taking the tort to one asap.

And a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I just finished reading this thread and I hope all is going well for you and the tortoise. Best of luck!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hmmmmmm......sigh. No news is not always good news, eh?