My name is Mabel

Mabel16

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
My granddaughter 3 year old tortoise has gone missing, need help to find him, we’ve searched all the area and put posters everywhere, post on Facebook and all for sale and swap sites, any advice would be gratefully recieved, my granddaughter is 4 years old and devastated, we all really miss her pet

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Put food out near his enclosure.

Was he in an outdoor enclosure when he disappeared? Get down on all 4's and search from tortoise height. He could just be well hidden.

Look for him when the sun comes up, he might come out to get warm.

If there are neighborhood children, get them involved. Offer a reward to the child who finds him.

Notify local vets and shelters that he is lost.

What species and size is he? How did he get loose?
I hope he shows up.

Mabel16

Manchester
Put food out near his enclosure.

Was he in an outdoor enclosure when he disappeared? Get down on all 4's and search from tortoise height. He could just be well hidden.

Look for him when the sun comes up, he might come out to get warm.

If there are neighborhood children, get them involved. Offer a reward to the child who finds him.

Notify local vets and shelters that he is lost.

What species and size is he? How did he get loose?
I hope he shows up.

Mabel16

Manchester
He lives in doors But has the run of the house and likes to go in and out of the back garden through the patio doors, the front door was left open by my granddaughter and that how he got out, we have all the kids and neighbors looking out for him, I will contact all the pet shops and vets today, thanks for the advice

A55EA48A-68D1-4A14-B6DD-5D8364369F9E.png

TaylorTortoise

Abington
He lives in doors But has the run of the house and likes to go in and out of the back garden through the patio doors, the front door was left open by my granddaughter and that how he got out, we have all the kids and neighbors looking out for him, I will contact all the pet shops and vets today, thanks for the advice
That is such a shame. Beautiful turtle. I hope you guys find him. He could be anywhere eating some greens or plants!

Mabel16

Manchester
Were all gutted and really want him home , every day that goes by is more devastating:(

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Don’t loose all hope. Tortoises have sence of direction. He might find a way back. And remember look for any tiny piles of dirt. Could be hiding under dirt and brush

Mabel16

Manchester
Been over a week now and still no sign of him, it’s strange that no one on my street has seen him, even the kids that are always out playing
Starting to think that someone has found him and now keeping him as there pet because they don’t know he’s lost :(

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe look to see if someone is trying to sell him. I know it's a horrible thought however...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Been over a week now and still no sign of him, it’s strange that no one on my street has seen him, even the kids that are always out playing
Starting to think that someone has found him and now keeping him as there pet because they don’t know he’s lost :(

Recheck every corner of your house, garden, and property. Sometimes a tortoise will just choose a dark area and stay there. Numerous owners have eventually found their tortoises hiding in closets, under cabinets, and even within their property line outside in the yard simply because sometimes the tortoises just choose to go to the nearest area/object they find as a suitable shelter.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
So sorry, hope you find him. That would be terrible if someone is keeping him. Best wishes!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Post/offer a small, cash reward for him or her.
Let the neighborhood children know about it.
1) Kids steal tortoises. They also like money.
2) Kids are great at finding things.
3) Most of our lost tortoise stories have happy endings. So good luck.

Mabel16

Manchester
Thank you all for your kind words and advice which I have taken onboard, keeping my hopes up that we have a happily ever after :)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe try a basking light on at dusk or early morning? With food?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Check under parked cars too, a friend of mine recently lost their tortoise for days and he was huddled under a parked car on the street. They are really good at hiding in plain sight.

Mabel16

Manchester
Check under parked cars too, a friend of mine recently lost their tortoise for days and he was huddled under a parked car on the street. They are really good at hiding in plain sight.
Thank you I will check

Mabel16

Manchester
So happy to let everyone know that my granddaughters tortoise has been found today and is now happily back home warming himself under his lamp, thank you all for taking the time to offer advice and for caring :) , Mabel is super excited valdatort is home :) xxx

Attachments

• B8DD0C24-DE24-45FE-B482-4F1660DCC458.jpeg
    B8DD0C24-DE24-45FE-B482-4F1660DCC458.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 12

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
So happy to let everyone know that my granddaughters tortoise has been found today and is now happily back home warming himself under his lamp, thank you all for taking the time to offer advice and for caring :) , Mabel is super excited valdatort is home :) xxx

Where did they eventually find the tortoise?