My name is Pat....

barbponys

and I'm new to Tortoises. I have been doing a lot of research, and talking to knowledgeable people about Sulcata's. There's been no sugar coating of what is required or how challenging they can be. I have a ton of space, 4 1/2 acres with horses, goats and a cow, as well as dogs and cats. I have plenty of room to create an outdoor enclosure, my main challenge is I live in the Pacific Northwest so winters are cold and dreary. I know someone that has a Sully, he doesn't live far from me, I'm going to go check out his enclosure and meet his tortoise. I need to figure out what I have to do to make a warm, humid, safe enclosure for the winters. I also will need to grow an indoor garden for feeding during the winter months(green house?). I won't be rescuing one until I have everything set up and ready to go, I'm thankful I have a tractor with a backhoe to dig the ditch and sink cinder blocks! I hope to get one a bit older, who has been too much for their current home... We'll see what the universe points me toward. I'm thankful to have been pointed in this direction!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome :) it's great your planning everything beforehand, I'm sure whatever tortoise you choose they will be very happy. Feel free to ask any questions!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Sounds like you already did a lot of work and research. Just be careful of the info you get. Some of the old and very bad info is still being past around. Don't forget pics when you get you life long shelled friend.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Pat and welcome to the forum sounds like when you're ready you'll be able to give some sully a lovely home. There's a lot to learn - I had no idea how much tortoise keeping involved until I was adopted by one last July - but this is the best place to learn. Sounds like you have had a head start but the care sheets for Sulcatas, Enclosures and Beginners mistakes may also help. Good luck with getting everything ready.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Pat and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Here you will find the most complete and up to date information on tortoise care available and meet many people with years of experience in giving these wonderful animals a great life.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
This will give you much of the information you need to know, but also look at the enclosures section, as suggested by Lyn, to give you some great ideas.
Or you could keep the cow, goats, horses, cats and dogs in the house and dedicate the full 4 and a half acres to your new tortoise. haha.
Read, learn, ask questions, contribute and have fun.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Pat and Welcome to the Forum. Good to have you here! ! ! !